Re: GEOSTATS: Comparision of interpolation methods

  • charliekufs@juno.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 13, 1999
      There have been quite a few comparisons of interpolation methods.
      Usually, kriging of one flavor or another proves to be "best." For
      example, see:

      Rouhani, S. 1986. Comparative Study of Ground-Water Mapping Techniques.
      Ground Water v. 24, no. 2. pp 207-216.

      You might also search the Journal of Mathematical Geology, which has many
      articles on kriging and interpolation. One of my favorites is:

      Englund E.J., 1990. A Variance of Geostatisticians. J. Math. Geol. v. 22,
      no. 4. pp 417-455.

      This article presents a comparison not only of the interpolation
      algorithms but also the practitioners.

      If you want some quick references from the net, visit
      http://members.home.net/terrabyte/didyou.htm and look for the essay
      "Interpolation for Fun and Profit." There's also an article on "Trend
      Surface Modeling of Groundwater Data" at
      http://members.home.net/terrabyte/papers.htm.

      Charlie Kufs

      ~~~~~ TERRABYTE CORPORATION
      ~~~~~ Statistics and Computer Technologies
      ~~~~~ Applied to the Environmental Sciences
      ~~~~~ http://members.home.net/terrabyte
      ~~~~~ terrabyte@...

      On Tue, 13 Apr 1999 21:42:32 +1200 "Flavy & Peter" <petfla@...>
      writes:
      >Hi,
      >
      >I would need a few useful references on a qualitative and quantitative
      >comparison of several surface interpolation methods (incl. Trend
      >surfaces,
      >regression models, TIN's, Linear interpolations, moving averages,
      >Kernel
      >function, splines, Kriging, Conditional simulation etc). My strongest
      >emphasis would be on various Kriging methods.
      >
      >Regards
      >
      >Peter
      >
      >Peter Gringinger
      >Geologist
      >26 Ngaio St., Orakei Ph: +64-9-521 8404
      >Auckland 1005 Fax:+64-9-521 8404
      >New Zealand E-mail: petfla@...
      >

      >--
      >*As a general service to list users, please remember to post a summary
      >of any useful responses to your questions.

      or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]