GEOSTATS: Comparision of interpolation methods

  • Flavy & Peter
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 13, 1999
      Hi,

      I would need a few useful references on a qualitative and quantitative
      comparison of several surface interpolation methods (incl. Trend surfaces,
      regression models, TIN's, Linear interpolations, moving averages, Kernel
      function, splines, Kriging, Conditional simulation etc). My strongest
      emphasis would be on various Kriging methods.

      Regards

      Peter

      Peter Gringinger
      Geologist
      26 Ngaio St., Orakei Ph: +64-9-521 8404
      Auckland 1005 Fax:+64-9-521 8404
      New Zealand E-mail: petfla@...

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 13, 1999
        There have been quite a few comparisons of interpolation methods.
        Usually, kriging of one flavor or another proves to be "best." For
        example, see:

        Rouhani, S. 1986. Comparative Study of Ground-Water Mapping Techniques.
        Ground Water v. 24, no. 2. pp 207-216.

        You might also search the Journal of Mathematical Geology, which has many
        articles on kriging and interpolation. One of my favorites is:

        Englund E.J., 1990. A Variance of Geostatisticians. J. Math. Geol. v. 22,
        no. 4. pp 417-455.

        This article presents a comparison not only of the interpolation
        algorithms but also the practitioners.

        If you want some quick references from the net, visit
        http://members.home.net/terrabyte/didyou.htm and look for the essay
        "Interpolation for Fun and Profit." There's also an article on "Trend
        Surface Modeling of Groundwater Data" at
        http://members.home.net/terrabyte/papers.htm.

        Charlie Kufs

        ~~~~~ TERRABYTE CORPORATION
        ~~~~~ Statistics and Computer Technologies
        ~~~~~ Applied to the Environmental Sciences
        ~~~~~ http://members.home.net/terrabyte
        ~~~~~ terrabyte@...

        On Tue, 13 Apr 1999 21:42:32 +1200 "Flavy & Peter" <petfla@...>
        writes:
        >Hi,
        >
        >I would need a few useful references on a qualitative and quantitative
        >comparison of several surface interpolation methods (incl. Trend
        >surfaces,
        >regression models, TIN's, Linear interpolations, moving averages,
        >Kernel
        >function, splines, Kriging, Conditional simulation etc). My strongest
        >emphasis would be on various Kriging methods.
        >
        >Regards
        >
        >Peter
        >
        >Peter Gringinger
        >Geologist
        >26 Ngaio St., Orakei Ph: +64-9-521 8404
        >Auckland 1005 Fax:+64-9-521 8404
        >New Zealand E-mail: petfla@...
        >

        >--
        >*As a general service to list users, please remember to post a summary
        >of any useful responses to your questions.

        or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]