GEOSTATS: Variograms where variable is a binary time-series

  • Jean-Noel Candau
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 1999
      Dear colleagues,

      I would like to calculate variograms on a grid where the variable is a binary time-series (i.e. each cell has a series of 0/1 corresponding to annual defoliation surveyed during 56 years). The ultimate goal of these variograms is to estimate the scale of the process in order to take the most meaningful neighborhood when I realize simulations.
      I have calculated variograms for each year of the survey. I obtained 56 variograms, quite different in sill and range, and it's difficult to extract an "average" sill or an "average" range. Do you have any idea/recommendation/suggestion?
      I also thought about doing something a bit different. If you consider the time-series in a cell as a vector, then the difference between 2 cells can be expressed as the angle between the two vectors, then the cosine between the two vectors can be used as a measure of the similarity between the two time-series. Following this idea, I tought about calculating a variogram replacing the average squared difference by the average cosine. I would like to have your opinion on this idea.

      Cheers,

      Jean-Noël CANDAU

      Ontario Forest Research Institute
      Ministry of Natural Resources