GEOSTATS: Clustering software - ward's method

  • Toon Van Daele
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 1999
      Dear all,

      Are there any clustering packages that can process over 700 cases (case
      clustering with Ward's method)? Until now I only have STATISTICA. The
      maximum number of cases for the clustering module is set to 300 (probably
      due to the hughe distance-matrix). Any suggestions ?

      Thanks,

      Toon
      Toon Van Daele VUB - Hydrology
      Pleinlaan 2 B-1050 Brussels
      Tel: 02/629.35.48 Fax: 02/629.30.22
      e-mail: tvdaele@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 1999
        >Are there any clustering packages that can process over 700 cases (case
        >clustering with Ward's method)? Until now I only have STATISTICA. The
        >maximum number of cases for the clustering module is set to 300 (probably
        >due to the hughe distance-matrix). Any suggestions ?

        Try SAS (www.sas.com).

        Fernando.
        Fernando Rodrigues Rio de Janeiro
        e-mail: fsr@...

      • Luis Tito de Morais
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 8, 1999
          At 14:19 05/03/99 -0300, Fernando Rodrigues wrote:

          >>Are there any clustering packages that can process over 700 cases (case
          >>clustering with Ward's method)? Until now I only have STATISTICA. The
          >>maximum number of cases for the clustering module is set to 300 (probably
          >>due to the hughe distance-matrix). Any suggestions ?
          >
          > Try SAS (www.sas.com).
          >
          >Fernando.
          >Fernando Rodrigues Rio de Janeiro
          >e-mail: fsr@...

          Try ADE4 an excellent statistical freeware developped by the University of
          Lyon (France). The software is available for Mac or Win, in english or
          french, on the www at http://biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr

          It performs a lot of different factorial and clustering analysis and
          supports very large matrices.

          It is supported by a very active discussion list (see on the web page),
          mostly in french, but you can give your quetions in english, and very nice
          statisticians answer in english too !

          Good luck

          L. Tito de Morais

          L. Tito de Morais

          Centre IRD de Bouaké
          01 BP 1434 Bouaké 01
          Côte d'Ivoire

          Tél. : 225 - 63 95 43
          Cel. : 225 - 08 65 43
          Fax : 225 - 63 27 38
          Courriel : tito@...

        • Toon Van Daele
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 24, 1999
            Almost three weeks ago I submitted a question about clustering software.

            As some people asked for a summary of the sites a got, I hereby send a brief
            list:

            Free software:

            http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/R/ freeware statistical package (highlevel
            programming language) very simmilar to S ( http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/S/ ).

            http://biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr freeware french/english software (This
            is the one I choosed to use. Developped for the analysis of ecological data,
            but of course also usefull for other types of data)

            commercial software:

            http://www.cmis.csiro.au/S-PLUS/
            www.sas.com
            http://www.spss.com/
            http://www.dwe.csiro.au/local/research/patn/patn0.htm

            list with clustering and multivariate analysis software:

            http://astro.u-strasbg.fr/~fmurtagh/mda-sw

            Thanks to everybody who answered my message.