GEOSTATS: neutral landscape generation

  • Niels Chr. Nielsen
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 1999
      Dear list readers

      I'm working with metric indicators for assessment of ecosystems, in an
      attempt to characterize structural diversity and (thereby ?)
      sustainability of fully or partly forested landscapes. I use a modified
      version of Fragstat and simple image processing. The input is raster
      images, typically in Erdas lan format. Recently I found this page :
      http://www.esd.ornl.gov/realizer/ that describes "The Fractal Landscape
      Realizer" which generates artificial land cover "maps" so well that it's
      impossible for the visitors of the site to distinguish between real and
      artificial maps (according to the on-line Turing test !). And now to my
      question: Do anybody know about available software (free- or share-ware)
      that can do the same, perhaps based on some parameters from already
      existing land cover maps such as number of classes, patch shape,
      juxtaposition of cover classes etc. ?

      Thanks in advance, Niels

      *------------------------------------------------------------------->
      Niels Christian Nielsen, cand.scient.(M.Sc.)/ph.d. student
      FOREst & CAtchment STudies sector, Environment & GEO-Information Unit
      TP 250, Space Applications Institute, Joint Research Centre
      I-21020 ISPRA (Va) Italy

      Telephone: Office +39 0332 785 854, Mobile +39 0339 252 1532
      Fax (EGEO shared) +39 0332 789 469
      Internet e-mail niels.nielsen@...
      website http://www.egeo.sai.jrc.it/
      other cool JRC sites: http://meteo.jrc.it/ (weather update)