Re: GEOSTATS: (Another) Question on log-transforms

  • Pierre Goovaerts
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 19, 1999
      Hi Bill,

      The remark that was made earlier on the list regarding the
      exponentiation of lognormal kriging applies to both point
      and block estimates. Taking simply the antilog
      of your kriged estimates leads to a biased estimate.
      As you rigthly guess, computing a semivariogram on
      the original values or the logtransforms usually leads
      to different results. Logarithmic transformation is typically
      performed to reduce the influence of high values on the estimation
      of the semivariogram (e.g. positively skewed histograms of
      heavy metal concentrations) and so the resulting histogram
      is expected to be less
      erratic than the original semivariogram.

      My advice is that if you have to deal with highly skewed
      histograms and want to avoid the problems associated with the
      logtransform and backtransform of your estimates, use an
      indicator approach to model the local cdf and use the ccdf mean
      as an estimate and the ccdf variance as a measure of uncertainty.
      Another option is to use a normal score transform (see Deutsch
      and Journel, p. 76 or my book) that ensures that the
      histogram of transformed data is perfectly symmetric
      regardless the shape of the original histogram.
      Use simple kriging to derive the mean and variance of the
      ccdf that is Gaussian in that case, and backtransform the
      results. Note that if you have a lot of data below the detection
      limits, you better go with an indicator approach or consider
      splitting your data into different subsets (use of different
      populations and corresponding RFs).

      Pierre

      | \ / | Pierre Goovaerts
      |_ \ / _| Assistant professor