GEOSTATS: Random dolphins

  • Daniel Bebber
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 1999

      I suppose what you want is to see if each observation in independent in
      space and time, or whether they are clustered. You can use variography on
      binary data (as described in Isaaks and Srivastava) to see if there is
      dependence, as long as you know the points in Euclidean space and time where
      the dolphins appeared. There are also tests of significance, but I'm not
      well-versed in them. As others have noted, if dolphins do behave randomly
      and independently then we will have to fundamentally alter our world view.
      Daniel P. Bebber

      Department of Plant Sciences
      University of Oxford
      South Parks Road