RE: GEOSTATS: Test for spatial randomness

  • Daniel Bebber
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15, 1999
      I suppose what you want is to see if each observation in independent in
      space and time, or whether they are clustered. You can use variography on
      binary data (as described in Isaaks and Srivastava) to see if there is
      dependence, as long as you know the points in Euclidean space and time where
      the dolphins appeared. There are also tests of significance, but I'm not
      well-versed in them. As others have noted, if dolphins do behave randomly
      and independently then we will have to fundamentally alter our world view.
      ____________________________
      Daniel P. Bebber

      Department of Plant Sciences
      University of Oxford
      South Parks Road
      Oxford OX1 3RB
      Tel. 01865 275000
      Fax. 01865 275074

    • Dan Wartenberg
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 15, 1999
        The traditional approach to test for spatial randomness is to test for
        spatial autocorrelation (similar to variography) using any of a number of
        specific indices. The best reference I know of is still Cliff and Ord
        1981 although the methods are presented in Cressie's book, Uppton's book,
        Bailey's book, etc. Also many articles.

        Daniel Wartenberg
        Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences Institute
        170 Frelinghuysen Road, Piscataway, NJ 08855
        voice: 732-445-0197 fax: 732-445-0784 email: dew@...