GEOSTATS: Test for spatial randomness

  • Dan Hough
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 12, 1999
      To all:

      We have a graduate student who has been studying coastal dolphins in
      Nicaragua for the last three years. She would like to be able to do a
      statistical test that will tell her that her sightings are (or are not)
      randomly distributed.

      We are looking for a test that would work on her presence data.

      Any ideas on what would be the best procedure to use?

      Thanks in advance.

      Dan Hough
      --
      Dan Hough e-mail: dhough@...
      Oklahoma Biological Survey phone: 405-325-4034

    • Rane Curl
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 12, 1999
        On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Dan Hough wrote:

        > We have a graduate student who has been studying coastal dolphins in
        > Nicaragua for the last three years. She would like to be able to do a
        > statistical test that will tell her that her sightings are (or are not)
        > randomly distributed.
        > We are looking for a test that would work on her presence data.

        Randomly distributed over what?

        --Rane L. Curl

      • Daniel Bebber
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 15, 1999
          I suppose what you want is to see if each observation in independent in
          space and time, or whether they are clustered. You can use variography on
          binary data (as described in Isaaks and Srivastava) to see if there is
          dependence, as long as you know the points in Euclidean space and time where
          the dolphins appeared. There are also tests of significance, but I'm not
          well-versed in them. As others have noted, if dolphins do behave randomly
          and independently then we will have to fundamentally alter our world view.
          ____________________________
          Daniel P. Bebber

          Department of Plant Sciences
          University of Oxford
          South Parks Road
          Oxford OX1 3RB
          Tel. 01865 275000
          Fax. 01865 275074

        • Dan Wartenberg
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 15, 1999
            The traditional approach to test for spatial randomness is to test for
            spatial autocorrelation (similar to variography) using any of a number of
            specific indices. The best reference I know of is still Cliff and Ord
            1981 although the methods are presented in Cressie's book, Uppton's book,
            Bailey's book, etc. Also many articles.

            Daniel Wartenberg
            Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences Institute
            170 Frelinghuysen Road, Piscataway, NJ 08855
            voice: 732-445-0197 fax: 732-445-0784 email: dew@...