RE: GEOSTATS: rainfall estimation etc.

  • Philippe Aubry
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 1999
      On february 11th Lionel Bargeot wrote :

      >My Algorythme could look like this :

      Jazz ? Hard Rock ? Boogie ?

      Please : "algorithm" comes from "Al Kharezmi" (arab mathematician) and not from "rhythmus" (latin) or "rhutmos" (greek).

      Thanks you for your attention.

      Best regards.

      Philippe Aubry

    • Dr. Hossein Arsham
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11, 1999
        al'Khwarizmi is a Persian NOT an Arab although
        he wrote in Arabic and lived in Baghdad.

        (al)Khwarizmi is the Arabicized name which means
        "man of Khwarizm". Khwarizm was the name of city
        in the northen Persia where he was born.

        Ref. Oxford Dictionary

        Best wishes
        Arsham

        Dr. Hossein Arsham
        Wright Distinguished Research Professor
        of Management Science & Statistics,
        Business Center,
        University of Baltimore,
        Baltimore, MD, 21201-5779, USA.
        Tel: 410 837 5268,
        Fax: 410 837 5722
        E-mail: harsham@...
        Web: http://ubmail.ubalt.edu/~harsham/index.html

        Philippe Aubry wrote:

        > On february 11th Lionel Bargeot wrote :
        >
        > >My Algorythme could look like this :
        >
        > Jazz ? Hard Rock ? Boogie ?
        >
        > Please : "algorithm" comes from "Al Kharezmi" (arab mathematician) and not from "rhythmus" (latin) or "rhutmos" (greek).
        >
        > Thanks you for your attention.
        >
        > Best regards.
        >
        > Philippe Aubry

      • Karl M. Syring
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 11, 1999
          Philippe,
          this level of hair splitting is really not necessary because the meaning of
          the message was easy enough to understand.

          Regards
          Karl

          FYI: Al Khorezmi was not an Arab but an Usbek mathematican