GEOSTATS: spherical structure function

  • Ude Shankar
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 1999
      Is there a mathematical basis for the so-called spherical structure
      function model ?
      e.g. is this variogram one would get if the topography used to
      construct the variogram was perfectly spherical?
      Thanks,
      Graeme.

    • Pierre Goovaerts
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 9, 1999
        Hello,

        It is not clear what you mean by spherical topography.
        The spherical covariance function with range A is actually
        the covariance of a random function Z(u) defined as follows:
        - consider a 3-D space with points u_i scattered randomly
        - the value of Z at any location u is the number of
        points contained in a sphere of radius A centered
        on u.
        In other words, the spherical covariance C(h) corresponds to the
        volume of the intersection of 2 spheres of equal size whose
        centers are separated by a vector h.
        More details are available in the book by H. Wackernagel
        (Multivariate geostatistics, 2nd edition, p.57-59).

        Cheers,

        Pierre

        | \ / | Pierre Goovaerts
        |_ \ / _| Assistant professor