Re:GEOSTATS: Request for Short Course in Environmental Geostatistics

    Evan Englund wrote: I was recently visited by two environmental scientists from Germany who want information about environmentally-oriented short courses in
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 1998
      Evan Englund wrote:

      I was recently visited by two environmental scientists from Germany who
      want information about environmentally-oriented short courses in
      geostats for themselves and other colleagues. They are most interested
      in having a course in Germany, but are willing to travel. The current
      ai-geostats course list is dominated by petroleum and mining. I know
      that a number of people have taught environmental geostats courses, but
      I'm not sure who is currently active/available. If you teach such a
      class, or know who does, please send me course title, instructor, and
      contact information, and I will pass it on. Thanks.

      Evan Englund (englund.evan@...)

      Following are the informative responses I received:

      You may not recall but we have met a time or two and you sent me some
      reprints a while back. I am a former Leon Borgman student and am now
      consulting in the environmental/ecological sciences. I have given
      workshops at the wildlfe society national meetings each of the past two
      years and have presented similar material in anywhere from a 1 to 4 day
      setting. I teach methods using a widows based package I have
      developed in
      MATLAB as well as GSLIB, GEOEAS and some frequency domain
      simulation methods
      developed here at University of
      Wyoming. I have presented the material to approximately 300 partcipants
      since 1995 and would enjoy the opportunity to get involved. Some
      projects have included superfund sites in Michigan and Idaho, wildlife
      sampling and monitoring projects in Alaska, mining applications for bond
      release and post mine monitoring for hot spots etc. Analysis of the
      of wind power development on spatial distributions of american
      pronghorn in
      Wyoming. Estimation of acoustically determined Biomass in the Gulf of
      Alaska. Estimation biomass density in Prince William Sound Alaska.
      Analysis of impacts of noise on endangered passerine species on 2
      bases in Califorina....

      The title of the course is: Statistical Analysis of GIS and Spatially
      Correlated field Data A workshop for field ecologists, environmental
      scientists and resource managers.

      In the course we use real data sets from a variety of the consulting
      projects as examples and exercises. For more workshop info see

      Thanks for your consideration,

      John W. Kern PhD <johnkern@...>

      Dear Dr. Englund,

      At Utrecht University (Peter Burrough's group) we teach courses
      in the field of Environmental Geostatistics and GIS. Please point
      your visitors to

      for an overview. Courses are given on a regular basis for students,
      and incidentally (irregularly) for visitors -- mostly when we have
      enough applicants.

      Best regards,
      "Edzer J. Pebesma" <e.pebesma@...>

      Dear Evan Englund,

      as fas as I know there are short courses in geostatistics and
      statistics offered by the University of Freiberg.
      For more information see:
      in the sections hydrogeology (Prof. Merkel) and mathematical geology
      (Prof. Schaeben).

      Prof. Sakla and his staff at the FU Berlin offer a specific course
      on mathematical methods and modelling in Geosciences which lasts
      several weeks. For information see:
      They also teach a one-week-course at the summer university in

      Last but not least I offer a introductory course on the topics of
      interpolation and geostatistics at the University of Halle in
      February (4 days). I don't know yet how many students will be interested
      that course this term. Perhaps there are some places left.

      If you need more information, don't hesitate to contact me and feel
      free to forward my address to your German collegues.
      Yours sincerely,

      Annegret Thieken<GHOYG@...-halle.de>

      Dear Dr Englund,

      The following is not mainstream environmental geostats, but I would be
      grateful if you could bring it to the attention nonetheless of your
      contacts. It is relevant for spatial data analysis, and we are completing
      some work at the moment in this direction with someone at the US Dept.

      "Multiscale Image and Data Analysis", by the authors of "Image and Data
      Analysis: the Multiscale Approach", JL Starck, F Murtagh and A Bijaoui,
      Cambridge University Press, 1998. The MR/1 software package, further
      information at http://visitweb.com/multires

      A customized course (half day, one day, or two day course +
      can be arranged. Please let the above know (multires@...
      would be
      best, or fd.murtagh@...) if you would like to be kept informed of
      planned courses in the future.

      Many thanks,
      Fionn Murtagh

      Prof. Fionn Murtagh, Faculty of Informatics, Univ. Ulster, Magee College,
      L'Derry BT48 7JL, Nth. Ireland URL http://www.infm.ulst.ac.uk/~fionn
      Email fd.murtagh@... Tel +44 1504 375453 Fax +44 1504 375489
      Dear Evan,

      Following your e-mail to the ai-geostat list,
      I want to let you know that I have organized this
      kind of short courses in the past and that
      interested persons could take a look at my Webpage
      to get more information about these courses.

      Best regards,

      Pierre Goovaerts
      Assistant professor
      Dept of Civil & Environmental Engineering
      The University of Michigan
      EWRE Building, Room 117
      Ann Arbor, Michigan, 48109-2125, U.S.A

      E-mail: goovaert@...
      Phone: (734) 936-0141
      Fax: (734) 763-2275

      I am probably going to be in Europe in April and might be able to sandwich
      in a short course on location in Germany. If they want to talk about it,
      you can send them my e-mail and regular mail address.

      Don Myers

      Department of Mathematics
      617 N. Santa Rita
      University of Arizona
      Tucson, AZ 85721
      (520) 621-6859
      (520) 621-8322 fAX

      Lynn Torak forwarded me your inquiry about a course in
      geostatistics. I teach such courses at georgia tech,
      and am attaching the brief outlines. In addition I am
      attaching a description of my research which should
      convey my persepctive on geostatistics. I have been considering
      offering that as a continuing education course. Let me know
      if you have any questions or if there is further interest.
      I could pair up with other people in the area to design and
      deliver such a course too.

      Vivek Kapoor <vkapoor@...>

      Introduction to Random Fields and Geostatistics

      1. Fundamentals of Stochastic Processes and Random Fields
      Probability density function
      Random fields
      Spectral representation
      Spatially correlated divergence-free vector fields
      Influence of averaging
      Superposition of trends
      Variogram analysis
      2. Simulation of Correlated Random Fields
      Discrete spectral representation of random fields
      1-D stochastic process simulation using FFT
      2-D and 3-D random field simulation using FFT
      Simulation of cross-correlated random fields
      Simulation of divergence-free vector fields
      Monte Carlo simulation
      3. Kriging
      Kriging equations
      Applications of kriging
      Conditional simulation
      4. Project
      Students select phenomena/problem of their interest, that requires
      synthesizing basic
      physical/chemical/engineering principles with random field

      Grading: Homework 1/2; Project 1/2

      Instructor: Vivek Kapoor
      284 Mason Building
      Tel 404-894-2216 Fax 404-894-2677 Email:

      * incorrect title appeared in hard-copy OSCAR
      CE 8113 C: Introduction to Random Fields and Geostatistics

      (20 lectures)

      0. Motivation and overview
      Subsurface flow and contaminant transport
      Combining statistical descriptions with physical principles
      (1 lecture (1))

      1. Probability theory review
      Random variables, cdf, pdf
      Joint distributions
      Expectation and moments
      Functions of random variables
      Empirical frequency distribution
      Different types of probability density functions
      Bivariate Gaussian distribution
      PDF of sum of two random variables
      Demonstration of central limit theorem
      (2 lectures (3))
      Handout: Appendix A of Kitanidis 1997.
      Chapters 1 and 2 of Vanmarcke 1983
      Homework 1: Problems from Appendix A of Kitanidis 1997.

      2. Fundamentals of stochastic processes and random fields
      Spatial structure and auto covariance
      Second order stationarity
      Inference of covariance
      Correlation-scale, integral scale, microscale and their significance
      Multidimensional isotropic and anisotropic autocovariance
      Inference of covariance and spectra
      Cross-covariance and cross-spectra
      Spectral representation
      (5 lectures (8))
      Handout: Chapter 3 of Vanmarcke and Chapter 2 of Gelhar
      Homework 2: Problems on estimating covariance functions from given
      data sets.

      3. Simulation of realizations
      Discrete spectral representation of random fields
      1-D stochastic process simulation using FFT
      Multidimensional random field simulation using FFT
      Simulation of cross-correlated random fields
      Simulation of divergence-free vector fields
      Monte Carlo simulation
      (4 lectures)
      Handout: Simulation of random fields by Kapoor 1997
      Homework 3: Simulate 1D and 2D random fields using FFT

      4. Kriging

      (4 lectures)
      Handout: Kitanidis 1997, Cressie 1993.
      Homework 4: Application of Kriging

      5. Project

      Proposal presentation (20 minutes each)
      Final presentation (30 minutes each)

      (4 lectures)

      I received your e-mail concerning environmental geostatistics short
      courses through Lynn Torak (USGS). As you probably know, I founded
      my company, NewFields, Inc. three years ago. One of the services that
      we offer are environmental geostatistics short courses. These courses
      have been quite successful. Many of these sessions are sponsored by
      US Navy as an integral part of their global training program. Participants
      include project managers, regulators and consultants. These courses
      have ranged from two to five days. The longer short courses allow for a
      more thorough understanding and applications of environmental

      Also recently, ASTM selected our proposal for offering their short
      courses on environmental geostatistics, which is expected to be a
      two-day course.

      More information about our training classes can be obtained from our
      web site at www.newfields.com. Please feel free to contact me or
      Michael Wild at NewFields (mwild@...).

      Yours truly,
      Shahrokh Rouhani
      NewFields, Inc.
      1349 W. Peachtree St., Suite 2000
      Atlanta, Georgia 30309
      Tel: (404)347-9050
      Fax: (404)347-9080
      email: srouhani@...

      Hello Evan,

      we do offer a course at Salzburg, Austria on June 10 - 11 1999. It's

      "Geostatistik fuer die Praxis" (Practical geostatistics)

      Anybody being interested in participating, is invited to read more
      details about the course schedule at:

      It need to be stated, that we are no geologists but geographers.

      The course aims at people involved in GIS projects with the need or wish
      to include a bit more than simplest non-spatial statistics.

      More courses (all german language) can be found at:

      If you'd like to receive more information via email or snailmail, please
      contact our office (address below).

      Kind regards
      eric j. lorup

      ZGIS (Center for Geographical Information at Salzburg)
      Dept. of Geography, Salzburg University
      A-5020 Salzburg, Hellbrunnerstr. 34 Austria
      Fon +43(0)662 8044 5224 Fax +43(0)662 8044 525

      Dear Evan,

      I have received this message from Paulo Ribeiro at Lancaster University
      (UK) in which you are interested in available courses within the field
      Environmental Statistics.

      Let me tell you that we are close to start a course on Spatial Data
      Analysis in Environmental Sciences jointly organized by Lancaster
      University (UK) and University of Valencia (Spain) to be held in Valencia
      and starting the third week of Januray 1999.
      It is a large course consisting of 9 different modulus with the following

      "Introduction to Probability & Statistics" 18-22 January from 16.30-19.30
      "Introduction to S-Plus" 25-29 January from 16.30-19.30 h. (SP & E)
      "Spatial Point Processes" 1-5 February from 16.30-20.30 h. (SP & E)
      "Computer Intensive methods" 8-12 February from 16.30-20.30 h. (E)
      "Spatial Environmental Epidemiology" 15-20 February from 16.30-20.30 h.
      "Model-based geostatistics with environmental applications" 22-27
      from 16.30-20.30 h. (E)
      "Prediction and dynamic linear models" 1-5 March from 16.30-20.30 h. (E)
      "Spatial generalized linear models" 8-12 March from 16.30-20.30 h. (SP)
      "Image analysis" 22-26 March from 16.30-20.20 h. (SP)

      The language used will be spanish (SP) and english (E).

      You can choose to register for the whole course or to register only for
      some modulus you may be interested in.

      You can get more information on the web site
      Please go through "Cursos".
      If you are interested please contact me as soon as possible as the
      for registration is already over.

      Dr. Jorge Mateu
      Department of Mathematics
      University Jaume I
      Campus Riu Sec
      E-12071 Castellon
      Tel: +34.964.728391
      Fax: +34.964.728429
      E-mail: mateu@...

      Dr Englund,

      I am running a five day short course on geostatistics for contaminated
      land assessment 8-12 March 1999.

      It is part of a part time industrial MSc in Contaminated Land

      If you think your German contacts may be interested I can send them
      further details.

      Paul Nathanail
      Course Director, MSc Contaminated Land Management

      Please note my new contact details as from 3 November:

      School of Chemical Environmental and Mining Engineering
      University of Nottingham
      Nottingham NG7 2RD

      tel 0115 951 4098
      fax 0115 951 4115
      email paul.nathanail@...

      You can still reach me at the TNTU address as I shall be there regularly
      for teaching purposes.

      In collaboration with Dr. Mark Wilson at the University of Michigan I'm
      developing a graduate course `Spatial Epidemiology'. Development of the
      course is funded by a grant from the National Cancer Institute to
      BioMedware, with
      the University of Michigan as a collaborating institution. The emphasis
      is on the inference of disease processes from spatial disease patterns,
      than a methods-based approach. The course is being offered on an
      basis this coming winter semester, it will also be offered in 2000. The
      web site `under construction' is:

      Geoffrey M. Jacquez <Jacquez@...>

      Dear Evan,

      the Freie Universitaet Berlin (Geoinformatik) offers a 3-week course
      in Feb '99 - much earlier than Salzburg ;-)

      'Mathematische Methoden und Modelle in den Geowissenschaften'

      Each week a seperate theme is presented (which can be booked
      The first week is devoted to 'Geostats' (with appl. in mining,
      environmental problems, hydrogeology).
      Details and contact address can be found in IAMG-Newsletter no.57, p 20

      H. Burger
      Dr. Heinz Burger
      Freie Universitaet Berlin
      - Geoinformatik -
      Malteserstr. 74-100
      12249 BERLIN, Germany
      e-mail: hburger@...-berlin.de
      Web-Seite: http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~hburger/hb/

      Evan, a number of years ago Professor John D. Rockaway (University of
      Missouri Rolla) gave a short course in "Statistics for
      Environmental Geologists" for the Geological Society of America at their
      annual meetings. I'm certain he would be interested in speaking with
      you about tailoring a course to meet the needs of the German
      environmental scientists. John may be reached via email at
      rockaway@... or by phone at (573)341-4799.

      Have a happy holiday season.

      Ray Bailey <rbailey@...>

      Dear Evan,

      Geovariances is pleased to announce that it has recently designed a
      short course in
      geostatistics specifically for geoscientists working in the environment
      and related
      sectors who require a practical introduction to geostatistical methods
      applied to data
      analysis, interpolation and simulation.

      This is a 5 day course for beginners wanting to know more about the
      basic concepts and
      methods of geostatistics. The subject matter ranges from variograms
      through kriging and
      multivariate geostatistics to simulations. The potential pitfalls and hints in
      geostatistical analysis of data are highlighted for each of these
      concepts. Particular
      attention is given to applications in hydrogeology, oceanography, the
      environment, fisheries
      and related sciences. No prior knowledge of geostatistics is required.
      However a basic
      understanding of statistics is recommended.

      The course content can be broadly subdivided as follows:
      . Introduction: why geostatistics should be used and its advantages
      over other methods
      . Calculating, modeling and interpreting the variogram
      . The theory and practice of kriging: incorporating spatial continuity in the
      . Specific kriging methods: with faults, inequalities, measurement errors,
      . Multivariate geostatistics and cokriging: dealing with several correlated
      . Non-stationary geostatistics: when the data present a global trend
      . An introduction to geostatistical simulations

      Half of the course time is dedicated to practical computer exercises that
      reinforce the previously presented theoretical notions.

      Unfortunately, the next session for this course is in French. We are
      currently finalising
      our training calendar for next year. The english language course will be
      run in April or May in 1999. Interested participants should keep an eye on
      Geovariances' web site:

      or the ai-geostat online forum of courses
      for more information.

      Chris Roth