GEOSTATS: Request for Short Course in Environmental Geostatistics

  • Evan Englund
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 1998
      I was recently visited by two environmental scientists from Germany who
      want information about environmentally-oriented short courses in
      geostats for themselves and other colleagues. They are most interested
      in having a course in Germany, but are willing to travel. The current
      ai-geostats course list is dominated by petroleum and mining. I know
      that a number of people have taught environmental geostats courses, but
      I'm not sure who is currently active/available. If you teach such a
      class, or know who does, please send me course title, instructor, and
      contact information, and I will pass it on. Thanks.

      Evan Englund (englund.evan@...)

    • Heinz Burger
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 1998
        Evan Englund wrote:

        > I was recently visited by two environmental scientists from Germany who
        > want information about environmentally-oriented short courses in
        > geostats for themselves and other colleagues.

        > . Dear Evan,

        the Freie Universitaet Berlin (Geoinformatik) offers a 3-week course
        in Feb '99 - much earlier than Salzburg ;-)

        'Mathematische Methoden und Modelle in den Geowissenschaften'

        Each week a seperate theme is presented (which can be booked
        independently).
        The first week is devoted to 'Geostats' (with appl. in mining,
        environmental problems, hydrogeology).
        Details and contact address can be found in IAMG-Newsletter no.57, p 20
        or

        http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~riester/wbs.html

        Regards,

        H. Burger
        Dr. Heinz Burger
        Freie Universitaet Berlin
        - Geoinformatik -
        Malteserstr. 74-100
        12249 BERLIN, Germany
        e-mail: hburger@...-berlin.de
        Web-Seite: http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~hburger/hb/
      • EVAN ENGLUND
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 1998
          Evan Englund wrote:

          I was recently visited by two environmental scientists from Germany who
          want information about environmentally-oriented short courses in
          geostats for themselves and other colleagues. They are most interested
          in having a course in Germany, but are willing to travel. The current
          ai-geostats course list is dominated by petroleum and mining. I know
          that a number of people have taught environmental geostats courses, but
          I'm not sure who is currently active/available. If you teach such a
          class, or know who does, please send me course title, instructor, and
          contact information, and I will pass it on. Thanks.

          Evan Englund (englund.evan@...)

          Following are the informative responses I received:

          Evan,

          You may not recall but we have met a time or two and you sent me some
          reprints a while back. I am a former Leon Borgman student and am now
          consulting in the environmental/ecological sciences. I have given
          geostats
          workshops at the wildlfe society national meetings each of the past two
          years and have presented similar material in anywhere from a 1 to 4 day
          setting. I teach methods using a widows based package I have
          developed in
          MATLAB as well as GSLIB, GEOEAS and some frequency domain
          simulation methods
          developed here at University of
          Wyoming. I have presented the material to approximately 300 partcipants
          since 1995 and would enjoy the opportunity to get involved. Some
          consulting
          projects have included superfund sites in Michigan and Idaho, wildlife
          sampling and monitoring projects in Alaska, mining applications for bond
          release and post mine monitoring for hot spots etc. Analysis of the
          efects
          of wind power development on spatial distributions of american
          pronghorn in
          Wyoming. Estimation of acoustically determined Biomass in the Gulf of
          Alaska. Estimation biomass density in Prince William Sound Alaska.
          Analysis of impacts of noise on endangered passerine species on 2
          military
          bases in Califorina....

          The title of the course is: Statistical Analysis of GIS and Spatially
          Correlated field Data A workshop for field ecologists, environmental
          scientists and resource managers.

          In the course we use real data sets from a variety of the consulting
          projects as examples and exercises. For more workshop info see
          www.west-inc.com

          Thanks for your consideration,

          John W. Kern PhD <johnkern@...>

          Dear Dr. Englund,

          At Utrecht University (Peter Burrough's group) we teach courses
          in the field of Environmental Geostatistics and GIS. Please point
          your visitors to

          http://www.geog.uu.nl/pcraster/course.html

          for an overview. Courses are given on a regular basis for students,
          and incidentally (irregularly) for visitors -- mostly when we have
          enough applicants.

          Best regards,
          "Edzer J. Pebesma" <e.pebesma@...>

          Dear Evan Englund,

          as fas as I know there are short courses in geostatistics and
          statistics offered by the University of Freiberg.
          For more information see:
          http://www.geo.tu-freiberg.de/institut/lehre/
          in the sections hydrogeology (Prof. Merkel) and mathematical geology
          (Prof. Schaeben).

          Prof. Sakla and his staff at the FU Berlin offer a specific course
          on mathematical methods and modelling in Geosciences which lasts
          several weeks. For information see:
          http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~riester/wbs.html
          They also teach a one-week-course at the summer university in
          Bremen.

          Last but not least I offer a introductory course on the topics of
          interpolation and geostatistics at the University of Halle in
          February (4 days). I don't know yet how many students will be interested
          in
          that course this term. Perhaps there are some places left.

          If you need more information, don't hesitate to contact me and feel
          free to forward my address to your German collegues.
          Yours sincerely,

          Annegret Thieken<GHOYG@...-halle.de>

          Dear Dr Englund,

          The following is not mainstream environmental geostats, but I would be
          grateful if you could bring it to the attention nonetheless of your
          contacts. It is relevant for spatial data analysis, and we are completing
          some work at the moment in this direction with someone at the US Dept.
          of
          Agriculture.

          "Multiscale Image and Data Analysis", by the authors of "Image and Data
          Analysis: the Multiscale Approach", JL Starck, F Murtagh and A Bijaoui,
          Cambridge University Press, 1998. The MR/1 software package, further
          information at http://visitweb.com/multires

          A customized course (half day, one day, or two day course +
          consultancy)
          can be arranged. Please let the above know (multires@...
          would be
          best, or fd.murtagh@...) if you would like to be kept informed of
          planned courses in the future.

          Many thanks,
          Fionn Murtagh

          Prof. Fionn Murtagh, Faculty of Informatics, Univ. Ulster, Magee College,
          L'Derry BT48 7JL, Nth. Ireland URL http://www.infm.ulst.ac.uk/~fionn
          Email fd.murtagh@... Tel +44 1504 375453 Fax +44 1504 375489
          Dear Evan,

          Following your e-mail to the ai-geostat list,
          I want to let you know that I have organized this
          kind of short courses in the past and that
          interested persons could take a look at my Webpage
          to get more information about these courses.

          Best regards,

          Pierre

          Pierre Goovaerts
          Assistant professor
          Dept of Civil & Environmental Engineering
          The University of Michigan
          EWRE Building, Room 117
          Ann Arbor, Michigan, 48109-2125, U.S.A

          E-mail: goovaert@...
          Phone: (734) 936-0141
          Fax: (734) 763-2275
          http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~goovaert/

          Evan

          I am probably going to be in Europe in April and might be able to sandwich
          in a short course on location in Germany. If they want to talk about it,
          you can send them my e-mail and regular mail address.

          Don Myers

          Department of Mathematics
          617 N. Santa Rita
          University of Arizona
          Tucson, AZ 85721
          (520) 621-6859
          (520) 621-8322 fAX
          myers@...

          http://www.u.arizona.edu/~donaldm

          Evan:

          Lynn Torak forwarded me your inquiry about a course in
          geostatistics. I teach such courses at georgia tech,
          and am attaching the brief outlines. In addition I am
          attaching a description of my research which should
          convey my persepctive on geostatistics. I have been considering
          offering that as a continuing education course. Let me know
          if you have any questions or if there is further interest.
          I could pair up with other people in the area to design and
          deliver such a course too.

          Sincerely,

          Vivek Kapoor <vkapoor@...>

          Introduction to Random Fields and Geostatistics

          1. Fundamentals of Stochastic Processes and Random Fields
          Probability density function
          Moments
          Random fields
          Spectral representation
          Spatially correlated divergence-free vector fields
          Influence of averaging
          Superposition of trends
          Variogram analysis
          2. Simulation of Correlated Random Fields
          Discrete spectral representation of random fields
          1-D stochastic process simulation using FFT
          2-D and 3-D random field simulation using FFT
          Simulation of cross-correlated random fields
          Simulation of divergence-free vector fields
          Monte Carlo simulation
          3. Kriging
          Kriging equations
          Applications of kriging
          Cokriging
          Conditional simulation
          4. Project
          Students select phenomena/problem of their interest, that requires
          synthesizing basic
          physical/chemical/engineering principles with random field
          descriptions.

          Grading: Homework 1/2; Project 1/2

          Instructor: Vivek Kapoor
          284 Mason Building
          Tel 404-894-2216 Fax 404-894-2677 Email:
          vkapoor@...

          * incorrect title appeared in hard-copy OSCAR
          CE 8113 C: Introduction to Random Fields and Geostatistics

          (20 lectures)

          0. Motivation and overview
          Subsurface flow and contaminant transport
          Combining statistical descriptions with physical principles
          (1 lecture (1))

          1. Probability theory review
          Random variables, cdf, pdf
          Joint distributions
          Expectation and moments
          Functions of random variables
          Empirical frequency distribution
          Different types of probability density functions
          Bivariate Gaussian distribution
          PDF of sum of two random variables
          Demonstration of central limit theorem
          (2 lectures (3))
          Handout: Appendix A of Kitanidis 1997.
          Chapters 1 and 2 of Vanmarcke 1983
          Homework 1: Problems from Appendix A of Kitanidis 1997.

          2. Fundamentals of stochastic processes and random fields
          Spatial structure and auto covariance
          Second order stationarity
          Inference of covariance
          Correlation-scale, integral scale, microscale and their significance
          Multidimensional isotropic and anisotropic autocovariance
          functions
          Spectrum
          Inference of covariance and spectra
          Cross-covariance and cross-spectra
          Spectral representation
          Variogram
          Averaging
          Trends
          (5 lectures (8))
          Handout: Chapter 3 of Vanmarcke and Chapter 2 of Gelhar
          Homework 2: Problems on estimating covariance functions from given
          data sets.

          3. Simulation of realizations
          Discrete spectral representation of random fields
          1-D stochastic process simulation using FFT
          Multidimensional random field simulation using FFT
          Simulation of cross-correlated random fields
          Simulation of divergence-free vector fields
          Monte Carlo simulation
          (4 lectures)
          Handout: Simulation of random fields by Kapoor 1997
          Homework 3: Simulate 1D and 2D random fields using FFT

          4. Kriging

          (4 lectures)
          Handout: Kitanidis 1997, Cressie 1993.
          Homework 4: Application of Kriging

          5. Project

          Proposal presentation (20 minutes each)
          Final presentation (30 minutes each)

          (4 lectures)

          US Navy as an integral part of their global training program. Participants
          include project managers, regulators and consultants. These courses
          have ranged from two to five days. The longer short courses allow for a
          more thorough understanding and applications of environmental
          geostatistics.

          Also recently, ASTM selected our proposal for offering their short
          courses on environmental geostatistics, which is expected to be a
          two-day course.

          More information about our training classes can be obtained from our
          web site at www.newfields.com. Please feel free to contact me or
          Michael Wild at NewFields (mwild@...).

          Yours truly,
          Shahrokh Rouhani
          NewFields, Inc.
          1349 W. Peachtree St., Suite 2000
          Atlanta, Georgia 30309
          Tel: (404)347-9050
          Fax: (404)347-9080
          email: srouhani@...

          ------------------------------------

          Hello Evan,

          we do offer a course at Salzburg, Austria on June 10 - 11 1999. It's
          titled:

          "Geostatistik fuer die Praxis" (Practical geostatistics)

          Anybody being interested in participating, is invited to read more
          details about the course schedule at:

          http://www.geo.sbg.ac.at/seminare/ss99/statistik.htm

          It need to be stated, that we are no geologists but geographers.

          The course aims at people involved in GIS projects with the need or wish
          to include a bit more than simplest non-spatial statistics.

          More courses (all german language) can be found at:
          http://www.geo.sbg.ac.at/seminare/index.htm

          If you'd like to receive more information via email or snailmail, please
          contact our office (address below).

          Kind regards
          eric j. lorup

          ZGIS (Center for Geographical Information at Salzburg)
          UNIGIS / IDRISI / AGIT
          Dept. of Geography, Salzburg University
          A-5020 Salzburg, Hellbrunnerstr. 34 Austria
          Fon +43(0)662 8044 5224 Fax +43(0)662 8044 525
          zgis@...
          http://www.sbg.ac.at/geo/zgis/zgis.htm

          ---------------------------------

          Dear Evan,

          I have received this message from Paulo Ribeiro at Lancaster University
          (UK) in which you are interested in available courses within the field
          Environmental Statistics.

          Let me tell you that we are close to start a course on Spatial Data
          Analysis in Environmental Sciences jointly organized by Lancaster
          University (UK) and University of Valencia (Spain) to be held in Valencia
          and starting the third week of Januray 1999.
          It is a large course consisting of 9 different modulus with the following
          timetable:

          "Introduction to Probability & Statistics" 18-22 January from 16.30-19.30
          (SP)
          "Introduction to S-Plus" 25-29 January from 16.30-19.30 h. (SP & E)
          "Spatial Point Processes" 1-5 February from 16.30-20.30 h. (SP & E)
          "Computer Intensive methods" 8-12 February from 16.30-20.30 h. (E)
          "Spatial Environmental Epidemiology" 15-20 February from 16.30-20.30 h.
          (E)
          "Model-based geostatistics with environmental applications" 22-27
          February
          from 16.30-20.30 h. (E)
          "Prediction and dynamic linear models" 1-5 March from 16.30-20.30 h. (E)
          "Spatial generalized linear models" 8-12 March from 16.30-20.30 h. (SP)
          "Image analysis" 22-26 March from 16.30-20.20 h. (SP)

          The language used will be spanish (SP) and english (E).

          You can choose to register for the whole course or to register only for
          some modulus you may be interested in.

          You can get more information on the web site
          http://www.uv.es/~montes.
          Please go through "Cursos".
          If you are interested please contact me as soon as possible as the
          deadline
          for registration is already over.

          Sincerely

          Jorge

          _____________________________
          Dr. Jorge Mateu
          Department of Mathematics
          University Jaume I
          Campus Riu Sec
          E-12071 Castellon
          Spain
          Tel: +34.964.728391
          Fax: +34.964.728429
          E-mail: mateu@...
          _____________________________

          Dr Englund,

          I am running a five day short course on geostatistics for contaminated
          land assessment 8-12 March 1999.

          It is part of a part time industrial MSc in Contaminated Land
          Management.

          If you think your German contacts may be interested I can send them
          further details.

          Paul Nathanail
          Course Director, MSc Contaminated Land Management

          Please note my new contact details as from 3 November:

          School of Chemical Environmental and Mining Engineering
          University of Nottingham
          Nottingham NG7 2RD

          tel 0115 951 4098
          fax 0115 951 4115
          email paul.nathanail@...

          You can still reach me at the TNTU address as I shall be there regularly
          for teaching purposes.

          -------------------------------------

          In collaboration with Dr. Mark Wilson at the University of Michigan I'm
          developing a graduate course `Spatial Epidemiology'. Development of the
          course is funded by a grant from the National Cancer Institute to
          BioMedware, with
          the University of Michigan as a collaborating institution. The emphasis
          is on the inference of disease processes from spatial disease patterns,
          rather
          than a methods-based approach. The course is being offered on an
          experimental
          basis this coming winter semester, it will also be offered in 2000. The
          web site `under construction' is:

          http://www.sph.umich.edu/~aelon/etc/

          Geoffrey M. Jacquez <Jacquez@...>

          -------------------------------------

[...]

          -----------------------

          Evan, a number of years ago Professor John D. Rockaway (University of
          Missouri Rolla) gave a short course in "Statistics for
          Environmental Geologists" for the Geological Society of America at their
          annual meetings. I'm certain he would be interested in speaking with
          you about tailoring a course to meet the needs of the German
          environmental scientists. John may be reached via email at
          rockaway@... or by phone at (573)341-4799.

          Have a happy holiday season.

          Ray Bailey <rbailey@...>

          ------------------------------------

          Dear Evan,

          Geovariances is pleased to announce that it has recently designed a
          short course in
          geostatistics specifically for geoscientists working in the environment
          and related
          sectors who require a practical introduction to geostatistical methods
          applied to data
          analysis, interpolation and simulation.

          This is a 5 day course for beginners wanting to know more about the
          basic concepts and
          methods of geostatistics. The subject matter ranges from variograms
          through kriging and
          multivariate geostatistics to simulations. The potential pitfalls and hints in
          the
          geostatistical analysis of data are highlighted for each of these
          concepts. Particular
          attention is given to applications in hydrogeology, oceanography, the
          environment, fisheries
          and related sciences. No prior knowledge of geostatistics is required.
          However a basic
          understanding of statistics is recommended.

          The course content can be broadly subdivided as follows:
          . Introduction: why geostatistics should be used and its advantages
          over other methods
          . Calculating, modeling and interpreting the variogram
          . The theory and practice of kriging: incorporating spatial continuity in the
          estimate
          . Specific kriging methods: with faults, inequalities, measurement errors,
          filtering
          . Multivariate geostatistics and cokriging: dealing with several correlated
          variables
          . Non-stationary geostatistics: when the data present a global trend
          . An introduction to geostatistical simulations

          Half of the course time is dedicated to practical computer exercises that
          reinforce the previously presented theoretical notions.

          Unfortunately, the next session for this course is in French. We are
          currently finalising
          our training calendar for next year. The english language course will be
          run in April or May in 1999. Interested participants should keep an eye on
          Geovariances' web site:

          http://www.geovariances.fr

          or the ai-geostat online forum of courses
          (http://curie.ei.jrc.it/courses/courseslist.html)
          for more information.

          Regards,
          Chris Roth