GEOSTATS: trigonometrical geostat

  • Michel Maignan
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 1998
      Hello
      Have you a climate with a strong wind?
      Do you want consequently to elaborate a map of wind direction and force?

      Here I tried with either cosinus and sinus components of the wind on one
      side, and with force and direction also.

      Could you help with providing information on:
      - papers on trigonometrical kriging, for geostatistics of directionnal
      variables
      - potential sources of software for this.

      I knew one research notes of Geostat/ Fontainebleau for this, and would
      like to know if there are some updating.
      Via a colleague in Moscow, I received also the book of Gandin, edition 1974
      which presents all developments for geostatistical mapping of meteoroligcal
      data, but the 300 pages are in russian..

      I look especially for an algorithm or a new program for taking into
      account the 2 PI modulo, so that a mean direction between 2 arrows with
      orientation 2 deg, and orientation 358 deg does not give (2 + 358)/ 2= 180
      deg!!

      In something as simple as surfer, one can display arrows on maps. But how
      to interpolate correctly?

      Thanks in advance for your answers,

      Michel Maignan
      Prof. Geostat/ Uni. Lausanne, Switzerland