GEOSTATS: New Book

  • J. Kropp
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 1998
      New Book for Scientists interested in Geoinformatic,
      Sustainability, Steering Concept:

      EARTH SYSTEM ANALYSIS: INTEGRATING SCIENCE FOR SUSTAINABILITY
      Ed. SCHELLNHUBER/WENZEL

      Springer, Berlin, 1998, ISBN-3-540-58017-4, 530 pages

      This book is about the coevolution of human civilization
      (the anthroposphere) and its natural support system (the ecosphere). In
      order to make coevolution work in the long run ("sustainable development"), the present
      environmental crisis ("global change") has to be overcome by judicious international
      management ("global governance"). Transdisciplinary scientific evidence is the
      key to solving that awesome task. In recent years, a plethora of excellent
      publications on global change, sustainable development and global governance have
      established a solid cognitive basis for resolutely integrated approaches to the
      overall topical complex. The monography edited by Schellnhuber and Wenzel selects
      the systems analysis road towards integration by conceiving the union of ecosphere and
      anthroposphere as one nonlinear dynamic entity to be controlled in a careful and
      responsible way. This intellectual enterprise is called "Earth System Analysis".

      The book assembles, on the one hand, contributions from world-class scientists in
      order to paint an interdisciplinary panorama of our pertinent wisdom. Thus crucial issues
      like climate change, biosphere stability, mega-urbanization or energy market design
      are addressed, mainly from the systems-analytic point of view. On the other
      hand, the attempt is made to outline the scope of the challenge associated with Earth System
      Analysis. To that end, a fundamental formalism is introduced which allows to
      discuss notions like sustainability or global environmental management in a rigorous
      mathematical way.

      In summary, this monography provides state-of-the-art information for researchers,
      lecturers, students, practitioners and decision-makers interested in the general
      environment & development theme. Moreover, this information is analyzed and
      synthesized in a novel way that is likely to stimulate a multitude of fresh
      transdisciplinary scientific activities relevant to that issue.

      Table of Contents

      PART I. Earth System Analysis - The Concept

      Discourse: Earth System Analysis - The Scope of the Challenge;
      by H.-J. Schellnhuber

      1. Prologue
      2. Global Change: Quantity Turns into Quality
      3. Global Environmental Management: The Physics and the Metaphysics
      4. Sustainable Development: One + Four Paradigms
      5. Integrated Modelling: Exploring Virtual Planetary Futures
      6. Fuzzy Control: Soft Decision Making under Uncertainty or A Tale of Two Demons
      7. Epilogue

      Commentaries by P. Nijkamp, G.S. Golitsyn, and V. Wenzel

      PART II. Natural Dimensions

      1. Ecology and the Earth System;
      by I.C. Prentice

      Commentaries by G.H. Kohlmaier and U. Luterbacher & E. Wiegandt

      2. Climate Change and Land Use: Global and Regional Analyses;
      by M.L. Parry, C. Rosenzweig, J.E. Hossell, P. Jones, T. Rehmam,
      R.B. Tranter, J.S. Marsh, J.C. Taylor

      Commentary by M. Claussen

      3. Sustainable Development in Agricultural Landscapes;
      by H. Muehle

      Commentaries by S. Bauer and F. Kienast

      PART III. Human Dimensions

      1. Modelling Global Environmental Change: Improving Human
      Dimensions Component;
      by H. Jacobson

      2. Internationally Tradeable Emission Certificates -
      Efficiency and Equity in Linking Environmental Protection
      with Economic Development;
      by U.E. Simonis

      Commentary by C. Helm

      3. New Models of Wealth;
      by E.U. v. Weizsaecker

      Commentaries by H.-J. Bolle and G. Bora

      4. Urban Metabolism and Disaster Vulnerability in an
      Era of Global Change;
      by J.K. Mitchell

      PART IV. Integration for Sustainability

      1. Multi-actor Optimization of Greenhouse Gas Emission
      Paths Using Coupled Integral Climate Response and Economic
      Models;
      by K. Hasselmann and S. Hasselmann

      Commentaries by A. Maltsev and O. Fr�nzle

      2. Global Change and Sustainable Development: Towards an
      Integrated Conceptual Model;

      by J. Rotmans

      Commentaries by M. Tilzer and W. Windhorst

      3. From a Fictional Globe to POETic Ecosystems: Modelling Human
      Interactions with the Environment;
      by R.C. Rockwell

      Commentaries by L. Kruse-Graumann and T. Mohr

      4. Is Global Modelling Feasible?;
      by H.-P. Duerr

      Commentaries by L. Bengtson and W.-D. Eberwein

      _\\|//_
      (' O^O ')
      +------------------------o00-(_)-00o--------------------------+
      | Juergen Kropp |
      | Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research |
      | Dept. for Integrated Systems Analysis |
      | \ | / P.O.Box: 601203, 14412 Potsdam |
      | / | \ Phone: ++49 (0) 331 288 2518 |
      | Fax: ++49 (0) 331 288 2600 |
      | __ __o _ e-mail: |