GEOSTATS: Skewness and Kurtosis

  • RCKnodt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 1998
      I need a little help and I presently am in the process of moving from Virginia
      to the state of Washington and do not have access to my books or notes.

      I believe that I read somewhere that if a distribution is analyzied and the
      Skewness is between 1.8 and 2.2 and the Kurtosis is between 8.6 and 9.4 the
      distribution is may be exponential.

      I also seem to remember that if the Skewness is between -0.3 and +0.3 and the
      Kurtosis is between 4 and 4.4 the distribution may be Log.

      Finally, if the Skewness if between -.3 and +0.3 and the Kurtosis is between
      1.6 and 2 the distribution is likely to be uniform.

      Can anyone verify this information?

      Does anyone know where I might get a reference regarding using the Skewness
      and Kurtosis to help identify the likely distribution for a set of data?

      Does anyone know of any other distributions that might be identifiable by
      using the Skewness and Kurtosis?

      Thanks in advance,

      Dr. Robert C. Knodt
      RCKnodt@... <A HREF="mailto: rcknodt@...">Robert C. Knodt</A>