Re: GEOSTATS: Geostats vs. Spatial Stats?

  • Jennifer Dungan
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 1998
      On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Duane F. Marble wrote:

      > You note that:
      >
      > >To answer Justin's question, I would say geostatistics is a subset of
      > >spatial statistics. The latter consists of any models that explicitly
      > >recognize spatial location in their construction, a very broad definition
      > >that includes a lot of different types of models.
      >
      > Thus, multi-regional mathematical programming models (clearly spatial)
      > would also be "statistical" in this definition. My view has always
      > been that spatial statistics was one area within the broader arena
      > of spatial analysis that covers both statistical and non-statistical
      > spatial models. Or are we working with a new, global definition of
      > "statistics?"

      No. I should have qualified the above with "statistical." As in,
      "The latter consists of any statistical models that explicitly recognize
      spatial location..."

      -Jennifer

      Jennifer Dungan | MS 242-4
      CSU - Monterey Bay | NASA Ames Research Center
      Tel: 650-604-3618 FAX: 650-604-4680 | Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000
      email: jdungan@... | USA