687GEOSTATS: interpolating pH values

  • Kim Bryceson
    Feb 4, 1998
      We are creating interpolated regional scale maps of various soil
      characteristics One of which is pH as measured in CaCl2. Given that pH is
      measured on a logarithmic scale in the "vertical" plane so-to-speak...do we
      have a theoretical problem in interpolating it in the "horizontal" plane using
      ordinary kriging where the estimates for non-sampled regions are made on a
      non-log basis?

      >From a management map perspective classified to pH ranges of interest, I am
      thinking there is no problem - but from a theoretical accuracy perspective
      there is debate in the Lab and we would appreciate comments

      regards
      kim

      Kim Bryceson BSc(Hons) METM, PhD
      Program Leader, Land Assessment & Policy Unit / Senior Research Fellow (GIS)
      CRC Soils & Land Management / Dept Agron & Farm Systems
      Hannaford Building, Waite Campus / Adelaide University
      University of Adelaide, SA 5064.
      Tel: (08) 83036522 Fax: (08) 83036711
      Email: kbryceso@...