1494GEOSTATS: sampling methods question

  • Juliann Aukema
    Feb 21, 2000
      Hello.

      I've been watching this list for only a short time and I hope someone
      out there may be able to help me. I'll try to be brief.
      I am looking at patterns of parasitic plant infection on tree hosts. I
      would like to address questions such as: Are infected individuals
      clustered? If so, at what scale? Is the clustering related to host
      distribution or size? to underlying habitat heterogeneity? What is the PDF
      of the seed distribution with respect to the parents? Are seed deposition
      rates a good proximate measure of the infection rates? I am examining
      processes and mechanisms of parasite transmission in other experiments and
      observations of vector behavior. And I hope to integrate both parts into a
      model of parasite transmission and spread.
      I have mapped (ARCVIEW) trees, parasites and seeds (infective
      propagules) on approximately 4 hectares (about 900 trees) using GPS. I'm
      not sure this is a large enough scale at which to detect patterns. I am
      wondering if there is a way to further subsample at a larger scale
      (complete mapping at a larger scale is too time-consuming right now). Given
      that I need to sample several non-contiguous areas for another part of the
      project (before my field season ends and before I will be able to analyze
      what I already have), perhaps I could choose locations that I could use for
      the spatial analysis as well. For example could I use the plot I have
      mapped and sample at different lag distances? Would I have to sample in
      concentric circles or could I just sample points? What would be a point? 50
      trees? 1 tree? in a circle? line?
      Thank you very much. I would be grateful for any suggestions.

      Juliann Aukema
      jaukema@...