1379Re: GEOSTATS: are there geodetic reference coordinates at regional level

  • Heinz Burger
    Sep 30, 1999
      Andrew Lister wrote:

      > Dear List, I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a gis or other dataset
      > of "exact" (surveyed) locations of major road intersections, etc. that
      > might be used to check the georeferencing of regional datasets,
      > satellite imagery, etc. It seems to me that we put a lot of faith in
      > these satellite images, etc., hoping that whoever did the work really
      > georeferenced them with the standards they describe.

      Hello Andrew,
      to our experience georeferenced satellite images don't offer
      additional advantages:
      a) Not all software packages can handle the specified projection
      b) geometrical correction based on GPS (or map) reference points
      was more accurate (in our test).
      c) you will get a better idea about the positional accuracy (depending
      the reference accuracy) if you do the job yourself.
      d) About standards, geodetic reference coordinates and ...:
      "Vertrauen ist gut, Kontrolle ist besser" (Lenin)

      Heinz Burger
      Dr. Heinz Burger
      Freie Universitaet Berlin
      - Geoinformatik -
      Malteserstr. 74-100
      12249 BERLIN, Germany
      Tel. (49) 30-7792-561 Fax: (49) 30-775-2075
      e-mail: hburger@...-berlin.de
      Web-Seite: http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~hburger