No Output to Sound Card?

  • caspar3259
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
      Here are the specs:

      PEPRO 2007.514
      Windows Vista 64-bit
      Signalink USB
      UI-View32

      Problem: I can receive just fine. However, if I try to transmit, I see
      the red indicator at the bottom-left turn on, but my SL-USB does not
      transmit.

      I believe I have narrowed it down to PEPRO not sending audio to the
      SL-USB sound card because I can trigger the SL-USB to transmit from
      the windows sound card speaker property window. (If I click the test
      sound button, the SL-USB goes into transmit) This tells me that
      windows knows how to send audio to the correct place.

      I find it curious that when I config the radio port I can see an entry
      for the SL-USB as "Microphone (USB Audio CODEC)", but where do I tell
      PEPRO what sound card to use for sending? Perhaps it uses the same one
      that is used for receiving, but I did not read that anywhere.

      I tried turning on logging, but did not notice anything meaningful (to
      me anyway).

      I have been able to successfully transmit using Flex32 (at least with
      the test PTT button), so I don't think the problem is in the SL-USB.

      Is there any way to tell where PEPRO is sending the output audio?

      Thanks for any and all help!

      -Jeff
    • Ralph Milnes
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
        Jeff,

        Yes, PE Pro uses the same card for transmit as for receive.

        You could try plugging a speaker into the various sound card output jacks,
        front and back, then telling PE Pro to transmit and listen for packet
        "braps" on the speaker.

        Keep us posted. It sounds like several users are interested in a solution.

        Ralph KC2RLM

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
          Jeff,

          I have no problem with PE-Pro and Vista 32 (Business) on a laptop.
          AGWTracker, the SignaLink, and a Yaesu FT 817 have made a nice real time
          display mobile tracker set up in the car. As Ralph points out, selecting
          the USB Sound device input will also select that device as the output.
          That being said, Vista (particularly Vista 64) has been plagued with
          some soundcard driver oddities that have interfered with device
          enumeration and selection in programs that use sound cards to generate
          various kinds of audio signals.

          Suggestions:

          * Make sure you have the very latest sound drivers for *all* sound
          devices you are using.
          * Use a communications program like WinWarbler that will show all
          sound input and output devices and the associated handles to make
          sure they are being recognized properly by the system and in the
          correct order.
          * Like Ralph said, your SL-USB has a monitor and speaker jacks that
          can be used to directly listen to the soundcard output. Plug in a
          speaker or phones. Your SL-USB should generate exactly the same
          sound as your soundcard when it is configured in PE-Pro.
          * Try configuring both your internal sound card and the SL-USB as
          separate devices in PE-Pro.You should hear them both generate the
          typical packet sounds when configured to transmit in UI-View (you
          should be able to select multiple "TNC's" in UI-View - I don't use
          it so I don't know). You can also run this test with AGWTerm if
          you want a little more direct control of what you are
          "transmitting" over each interface. It might save you a bunch of
          configuring in UI-View

          Do let us know what you find.

          Jack - kd4iz
        • Jerald Josephs
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
            I have the same setup, but with WinXP Pro.
            I first attach the SL-USB to the system before I start PEPro.
            I then configure the audio on my laptop so that the system is using the
            internal sound card. I don't want system sounds to go out to my radio.

            Using the Radio Port Manager, I select the SL-USB as my audio device.

            Jerald

            On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Ralph Milnes <ralphmilnes@...> wrote:

            > Jeff,
            >
            > Yes, PE Pro uses the same card for transmit as for receive.
            >
            > You could try plugging a speaker into the various sound card output jacks,
            > front and back, then telling PE Pro to transmit and listen for packet
            > "braps" on the speaker.
            >
            > Keep us posted. It sounds like several users are interested in a solution.
            >
            > Ralph KC2RLM

          • caspar3259
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
              Ahhh, yes, you were right. If I right-click on the speaker icon in the
              tray and look at the "Playback Devices" I can see it is sending audio
              out to another device. My system has 4 playback devices: HDMI output,
              Speakers, SPDIF, and USB Audio CODEC.

              When I first checked this, it was sending audio to the SPDIF device. I
              then tried making the USB Audio CODEC the default *recording* device.
              After that change, the audio then went out to the speakers and I have
              not been able to get it to change again.

              I tried disabling every device but the speakers, SL-USB input, and
              SL-USB output, but no luck. It still sends audio out to the speakers.

              PEPRO seems confused about how to handle multiple audio devices and
              cannot choose the one selected for input in the Radio Port configuration.

              I'll do some more searching online to see if I can find someone else
              with this problem (now that I know more details about it).

              thanks for the suggestions,

              -Jeff

              --- In agwpe_pro@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Milnes" <ralphmilnes@...> wrote:

              > Jeff,
              >
              > Yes, PE Pro uses the same card for transmit as for receive.
              >
              > You could try plugging a speaker into the various sound card output
              jacks,
              > front and back, then telling PE Pro to transmit and listen for packet
              > "braps" on the speaker.
              >
              > Keep us posted. It sounds like several users are interested in a
              solution.

              > Ralph KC2RLM

              On Behalf
              > Of caspar3259
              > Sent: Monday, February 02, 2009 12:41 AM
              > To: agwpe_pro@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [agwpe_pro] No Output to Sound Card?
              >
              > Here are the specs:
              >
              > PEPRO 2007.514
              > Windows Vista 64-bit
              > Signalink USB
              > UI-View32
              >
              > Problem: I can receive just fine. However, if I try to transmit, I see
              > the red indicator at the bottom-left turn on, but my SL-USB does not
              > transmit.
              >
              > I believe I have narrowed it down to PEPRO not sending audio to the
              > SL-USB sound card because I can trigger the SL-USB to transmit from
              > the windows sound card speaker property window. (If I click the test
              > sound button, the SL-USB goes into transmit) This tells me that
              > windows knows how to send audio to the correct place.
              >
              > I find it curious that when I config the radio port I can see an entry
              > for the SL-USB as "Microphone (USB Audio CODEC)", but where do I tell
              > PEPRO what sound card to use for sending? Perhaps it uses the same one
              > that is used for receiving, but I did not read that anywhere.
              >
              > I tried turning on logging, but did not notice anything meaningful (to
              > me anyway).
              >
              > I have been able to successfully transmit using Flex32 (at least with
              > the test PTT button), so I don't think the problem is in the SL-USB.
              >
              > Is there any way to tell where PEPRO is sending the output audio?
              >
              > Thanks for any and all help!
              >
              > -Jeff

            • caspar3259
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
                Update: I tried the suggestion from an older post about setting up 2
                radio ports in PEPRO (1 for the SL-USB and 1 for the default sound
                card) and then deleting the non-SL-USB one.

                For the time being, this seems to have worked. The SL-USB switched to
                Tx and the radio keyed up!

                ...now I just need to see if I'm getting out and if my APRS settings
                are working.

                thanks,

              • r_vanzon
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 8, 2009
                  Since July 2007 I have (had) the same kind of trouble with soundcards, although various problems were solved, some remained. Even with the beta version 2007.710 George did send me.

                  After a lot of experimenting I found out it works if you do some manual setting of the systems audio sliders.....
                  (quote)
                  I can use the PE for I/O to WinAPRS and AGWterm on the laptop through
                  both soundcards.
                  I have to set the audio in- and out levels manual through the WinXP
                  interface. (PEPro audio interface does not work...yet..) Radioport1=
                  External USB Soundcard, Radioport2= Internal Soundmax. (active) PTT is
                  working through LPT1.
                  So for 'daily use' (APRS/BBS) it works.
                  (unquote)

                  Hi Rene

                  > I will fix the audio levels in next version.

                  So I am still waiting for a version that fixes it.....

                  René van Zon