ANN: Evolutionary Database Development

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2005
      I believe that data professionals must start adopting evolutionary
      (iterative and incremental) techniques, and better yet agile techniques, if
      they are to remain relevant within the modern IT environment. It's easy to
      say that data professionals need to work in an evolutionary manner, but
      they also need techniques which allow them to do so. Luckily many
      techniques do exist, if data professionals choose to adopt them. And it is
      a choice, data professionals do not need to limit themselves to near-serial
      development techniques, they could in fact become effective members of
      modern development teams. Data professionals can easily take an
      evolutionary, if not agile approach to modeling; they can refactor database
      schemas to improve the design; and the can take a test-driven development
      (TDD) approach to database development to ensure quality.

      These techniques are overviewed in my article entitled "Evolutionary
      Database Development" (http://www.tdan.com/i033fe04.htm ) published in the
      July 2005 issue of The Data Administration Newsletter (TDAN).

      Senior Consultant, Ambysoft Inc.
      www.ambysoft.com/scottAmbler.html

      www.agiledata.org -:- www.agilemodeling.com -:- www.ambysoft.com -:-
      www.databaserefactoring.com -:- www.enterpriseunifiedprocess.com -:-