Embracing the OMG

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2005
      In my April column in Software Development, entitled "Embracing the OMG", I
      rethink my position regarding the Object Management Group (OMG). The
      article is posted at
      http://www.sdmagazine.com/documents/s=9604/sdm0504i/sdm0504i.htm if you'd
      like to read it.

      The main points that I make:
      1. Model Driven Architecture (MDA) is more than just a rehash of the 1980s
      failed I-CASE tool vision because of it's use of the UML -- Now that we
      have a new set of bubbles and lines, how could it not work?
      2. XML Model Interchange (XMI) will eventually prove to be important --
      CASE tool vendors are clearly motivated to ensure that their tools work
      together seamlessly, aren't they?
      3. UML Certification is a great idea -- Why wouldn't a multi-guess test be
      a good indicator of someone's modeling ability?
      4. Platform Independent Models (PIMs) in MDA will also work well -- Why
      wouldn't stakeholders love the mounds of documentation that MDA tools can
      generate?
      5. The Common Warehouse Metamodel (CWM) will take off soon -- Considering
      the good relationship that the object community has with the data
      community, why wouldn't everyone embrace this model?
      6. I propose a rating system for your support of the OMG specifications --
      Who doesn't want to earn little gold stars for sucking up to the OMG?

      Yes, as you've probably guessed by now the article is an April Fool's joke.

      Please feel free to forward this posting to your colleagues, they could use
      a good laugh.

      Senior Consultant, Ronin International, Inc.
      www.ambysoft.com/scottAmbler.html

      www.agiledata.org -:- www.agilemodeling.com -:- www.ambysoft.com -:-
      www.databaserefactoring.com -:- www.enterpriseunifiedprocess.com -:-
      www.ronin-intl.com