Database Change Management : diff create1.sql create2.sql > alter.sql

  • Luis Gois
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 29, 2004
      Greetings.

      Does any of you know of a "diff-like" tool that accepts as inputs two
      (or more) versions of SQL scripts for the same database object,
      outputing the differences between these objects as an SQL script
      capable of "upgrading" the 1st version to the 2nd one (e.g. the inputs
      are CREATE TABLE and the output an ALTER TABLE)?

      I've read about some Perl modules that have similar (but limited)
      functionality. Performance can be a issue, since I'll be using this
      tool with schemas having more than 2600 tables (always 1 SQL file for
      each object).

      I've tried some graphical tools (Quest Schema Manager and Embarcadero
      Change Manager) but they only provide comparison between live
      databases and/or proprietary "archive" or "baselines" made with such
      tools. What I really need is some tool that works at the single object
      SQL based DDL level, and I'm willing to develop such tool, if I can't
      find a reasonable solution.

      Thanks in advance.
      Luis
    • Martin Paulo
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2004
        I am aware of, but have never looked at or used:
        http://www.embarcadero.com/products/changemanager/
        If you do have a look at it could you please let the rest of us know
        your impressions?

        Thank you
        Martin

        Martin Paulo: Software Developer

        Tel : +64-4-462 3828 (Work)
        Tel : +64-4-973 4899 (Home)
        Tel : 021 259 9402 (Mobile)
        Site: http://radio.weblogs.com/0130781/

        "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded" - Yogi Berra.

        Luis Gois wrote:

        > Greetings.
        >
        > Does any of you know of a "diff-like" tool that accepts as inputs two
        > (or more) versions of SQL scripts for the same database object,
        > outputing the differences between these objects as an SQL script
        > capable of "upgrading" the 1st version to the 2nd one (e.g. the inputs
        > are CREATE TABLE and the output an ALTER TABLE)?
        >
        > I've read about some Perl modules that have similar (but limited)
        > functionality. Performance can be a issue, since I'll be using this
        > tool with schemas having more than 2600 tables (always 1 SQL file for
        > each object).
        >
        > I've tried some graphical tools (Quest Schema Manager and Embarcadero
        > Change Manager) but they only provide comparison between live
        > databases and/or proprietary "archive" or "baselines" made with such
        > tools. What I really need is some tool that works at the single object
        > SQL based DDL level, and I'm willing to develop such tool, if I can't
        > find a reasonable solution.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        > Luis

      • Jason Nocks
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2004
          On Friday 29 October 2004 04:16 pm, Luis Gois wrote:
          > Greetings.
          >
          > Does any of you know of a "diff-like" tool that accepts as inputs two
          > (or more) versions of SQL scripts for the same database object,
          > outputing the differences between these objects as an SQL script
          > capable of "upgrading" the 1st version to the 2nd one (e.g. the inputs
          > are CREATE TABLE and the output an ALTER TABLE)?
          >
          > I've read about some Perl modules that have similar (but limited)
          > functionality. Performance can be a issue, since I'll be using this
          > tool with schemas having more than 2600 tables (always 1 SQL file for
          > each object).

          What modules are you referring to? Have you tried running a quick performance
          test to see if the performance is truly unacceptable? I'm not a perl expert,
          but I thought it was suoposed to be fairly optimized for large text
          comparison tasks.

          > I've tried some graphical tools (Quest Schema Manager and Embarcadero
          > Change Manager) but they only provide comparison between live
          > databases and/or proprietary "archive" or "baselines" made with such
          > tools. What I really need is some tool that works at the single object
          > SQL based DDL level, and I'm willing to develop such tool, if I can't
          > find a reasonable solution.

          If money is less constrained than time, you might want to check out ERWin. I
          haven't used any version I'd call recent (late 90's last time I used it), but
          I seem to recall doing exactly what you are referring to. It was quite easy
          to use back in the day, but it was expensive back at that time and I would
          imagine that the price has not come down much.

          ERWin seems to have changed owners a number of times. Seems that the current
          owner might be Compter Associates. Here's a link:
          http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/Product.asp?ID=260

          > Thanks in advance.
          > Luis

          Hope this helps,
          Jason Nocks
          SourceXtreme, Inc.
        • Chad Crawley
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4, 2004
            If by any chance you're trying to diff two MS SQL Server databases, you
            might take a look at Red Gate's SQL Compare tool. Works pretty decent and
            has a trial download at http://www.red-gate.com/SQL_Compare.htm

            > Does any of you know of a "diff-like" tool that accepts as inputs two
            > (or more) versions of SQL scripts for the same database object,
            > outputing the differences between these objects as an SQL script
            > capable of "upgrading" the 1st version to the 2nd one (e.g. the inputs
            > are CREATE TABLE and the output an ALTER TABLE)?
            >
            > I've read about some Perl modules that have similar (but limited)
            > functionality. Performance can be a issue, since I'll be using this
            > tool with schemas having more than 2600 tables (always 1 SQL file for
            > each object).
            >
            > I've tried some graphical tools (Quest Schema Manager and Embarcadero
            > Change Manager) but they only provide comparison between live
            > databases and/or proprietary "archive" or "baselines" made with such
            > tools. What I really need is some tool that works at the single object
            > SQL based DDL level, and I'm willing to develop such tool, if I can't
            > find a reasonable solution.
            >
            > Thanks in advance.
            > Luis
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Tom Clarke
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 4, 2004
              I've been using adeptsql (www.adeptsql.com) which works fairly well -
              also for SQL server.

              -Tom

              On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 22:41:30 -0600, Chad Crawley <chad@...> wrote:

              > If by any chance you're trying to diff two MS SQL Server databases, you
              > might take a look at Red Gate's SQL Compare tool. Works pretty decent and
              > has a trial download at http://www.red-gate.com/SQL_Compare.htm

            • Luis Gois
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 5, 2004
                Hello.

                I've tested Embarcadero Change Manager (ECM) and Quest Schema Manager (QSM). I think
                you'll only get the full grasp of these tools after you test them. They have some unique
                features (but still missing some functionality). I'll try to give you some of the features that
                most impressed me :

                ECM
                ====
                * Can extract the DDL for the schema as 1 SQL for each object or a single SQL containing
                all objects.
                * doesn't creates a master script that serializes the creation of a copy of the schema;
                * after the baseline created, you can only extract the DDL as a single global schema
                creation file; no more 1 SQL - 1 object;
                * can't remove privileges (schema name) and storage information from extracted DDL;
                * can compare any combination of schema sources (DB vs DB, baseline vs. DB, baseline vs.
                baseline and DB vs. baseline)
                * supports all Oracle's object types (including "DB links" and "Types")

                QSM
                ====
                * Super-Mega-Fast baseline creation and comparison (500% fast or more)
                * Import SQL file for temporary schema creation and comparison with DB (to compare it
                with a baseline, don't drop the temporary user)
                * Can filter storage and privileges (schema owner) when extracting SQL, but not when
                importing it (see previous feature);
                * Only full DDL SQL script extraction available
                * It's possible to generate rollback scripts
                * Compares DB vs. DB or baseline vs. DB
                * doesn't support DB links or "Type" Oracle objects (they're automatically excluded from
                baseline/compare operations)

                These were the features that I thourougly tested. Both tools have reporting features,
                impact analysys and point and click schema synchronization. QSM is faster and provides
                rollback SQL scripts, while ECM supports all object types, it's possible to extract 1 SQL file
                for each object and also provides SCC integration (though incompatible with Serena
                Dimensions SCC interface).

                Anyway, test the tools for yourself. I've narrowed my evaluation to the features I was most
                interested in. I've concluded that none of the tools provides all the functionalities I'm
                looking for.

                Feel free to drop me an e-mail if you have any specific question about my test setup, etc.

                Best regards,
                Luis

                ===========

                > Martin Paulo: Software Developer
                >
                > Tel : +64-4-462 3828 (Work)
                > Tel : +64-4-973 4899 (Home)
                > Tel : 021 259 9402 (Mobile)
                > Site: http://radio.weblogs.com/0130781/
                >
                > "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded" - Yogi Berra.
                >

                > Luis Gois wrote:
                >

                > > Greetings.
                > >
                > > Does any of you know of a "diff-like" tool that accepts as inputs two
                > > (or more) versions of SQL scripts for the same database object,
                > > outputing the differences between these objects as an SQL script
                > > capable of "upgrading" the 1st version to the 2nd one (e.g. the inputs
                > > are CREATE TABLE and the output an ALTER TABLE)?
                > >
                > > I've read about some Perl modules that have similar (but limited)
                > > functionality. Performance can be a issue, since I'll be using this
                > > tool with schemas having more than 2600 tables (always 1 SQL file for
                > > each object).
                > >
                > > I've tried some graphical tools (Quest Schema Manager and Embarcadero
                > > Change Manager) but they only provide comparison between live
                > > databases and/or proprietary "archive" or "baselines" made with such
                > > tools. What I really need is some tool that works at the single object
                > > SQL based DDL level, and I'm willing to develop such tool, if I can't
                > > find a reasonable solution.
                > >
                > > Thanks in advance.
                > > Luis

              • Luis Gois
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 5, 2004
                  Perl modules : SQLFairy, for instance.

                  I'm no Perl expert either. My performance concerns are from the fact that I need to
                  compare a schema of more than 2600 tables (and much more other objects) in a timely
                  fashion (less than 1 hour), which I think is impossible to achieve using, for instance, a Java
                  application, even if I'm running such application on a HPUX server.

                  I've used Erwin, Powerdesigner et. al. more recently, but for ER/data model design. Right
                  now, I'm designing a system that can assure a reliable, partially automated and secure
                  configuration managent activity over our many databases. We don't use continuous
                  integration, agile methodologies or any kind of automation ... but this has to change soon
                  due to obvious reasons.

                  I need command line applications for automation purposes, preferably open source or
                  highly customisable since I'm aiming at a low impact process change. The tool must be
                  adaptable to our CM process flow. I also have to integrate it with a comercial version
                  control system.

                  Thanks.
                  Best regards,
                  Luis

                  --- In agileDatabases@yahoogroups.com, Jason Nocks <nocksj@s...> wrote:

                  > On Friday 29 October 2004 04:16 pm, Luis Gois wrote:
                  > > Greetings.
                  > >
                  > > Does any of you know of a "diff-like" tool that accepts as inputs two
                  > > (or more) versions of SQL scripts for the same database object,
                  > > outputing the differences between these objects as an SQL script
                  > > capable of "upgrading" the 1st version to the 2nd one (e.g. the inputs
                  > > are CREATE TABLE and the output an ALTER TABLE)?
                  > >
                  > > I've read about some Perl modules that have similar (but limited)
                  > > functionality. Performance can be a issue, since I'll be using this
                  > > tool with schemas having more than 2600 tables (always 1 SQL file for
                  > > each object).
                  >
                  > What modules are you referring to? Have you tried running a quick performance
                  > test to see if the performance is truly unacceptable? I'm not a perl expert,
                  > but I thought it was suoposed to be fairly optimized for large text
                  > comparison tasks.
                  >
                  > > I've tried some graphical tools (Quest Schema Manager and Embarcadero
                  > > Change Manager) but they only provide comparison between live
                  > > databases and/or proprietary "archive" or "baselines" made with such
                  > > tools. What I really need is some tool that works at the single object
                  > > SQL based DDL level, and I'm willing to develop such tool, if I can't
                  > > find a reasonable solution.
                  >
                  > If money is less constrained than time, you might want to check out ERWin. I
                  > haven't used any version I'd call recent (late 90's last time I used it), but
                  > I seem to recall doing exactly what you are referring to. It was quite easy
                  > to use back in the day, but it was expensive back at that time and I would
                  > imagine that the price has not come down much.
                  >
                  > ERWin seems to have changed owners a number of times. Seems that the current
                  > owner might be Compter Associates. Here's a link:
                  > http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/Product.asp?ID=260
                  >
                  > > Thanks in advance.
                  > > Luis
                  >
                  > Hope this helps,
                  > Jason Nocks
                  > SourceXtreme, Inc.
                • Luis Gois
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 5, 2004
                    Hello.

                    Oracle (9/9i) here.

                    The tool must have a command line interface too, preferably open source and/or with
                    ports available for HPUX.

                    Minimum requirements are : schema compare (SQL vs. DB or SQL vs. SQL scripts)
                    exporting alter scripts needed for schema synchronization. Basically, I wan't a tool capable
                    of handling a DB as a filesystem structure, where each SQL file is an object.

                    Best regards,
                    Luis

                    --- In agileDatabases@yahoogroups.com, "Chad Crawley" <chad@s...> wrote:
                    > If by any chance you're trying to diff two MS SQL Server databases, you
                    > might take a look at Red Gate's SQL Compare tool. Works pretty decent and
                    > has a trial download at http://www.red-gate.com/SQL_Compare.htm

                  • Luis Gois
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 5, 2004