Re: [agileDatabases] UML RDB Profile

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28, 2004
      The closest you're going to find is at
      www.agiledata.org/essays/umlDataModelingProfile.html.

      There's a move afoot by a few people to use that as a basis for an OMG
      spec, but frankly it'll be another year or two at least at the very
      earliest before a real standard comes about due to the OMG processes.

      - Scott

      At 08:04 PM 4/24/2004, you wrote:
      >I came to this group via tha 2002 agile essay on a UML profile for RDB
      >modeling. I'm starting to understand enough about UML to become
      >dangerous. I'd like to create some UML data models as input to a code
      >generator. So the models need to get specify the nitty-gritty details
      >of such things as relations, indexes, RI etc.
      >
      >I don't suppose there are any real standards for UML RDB modeling yet?
      >Searching the web yields a plethora of possibilities, books and
      >projects but I'd really like to pick one that has some possibility of
      >staying around. Are any of the several books on the subject detailed
      >enough to be usable in a real development enviroment?
      >
      >Thanks
      >Art
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Senior Consultant, Ronin International, Inc.
      www.ronin-intl.com/company/scottAmbler.html

      www.agiledata.org
      www.agilemodeling.com
      www.ambysoft.com
      www.enterpriseunifiedprocess.info
      www.modelingstyle.info
      www.ronin-intl.com
    • mgnomad
      Message 2 of 3 , May 16, 2004
        An important part of developing database models is to understand
        what it is that you want to accomplish. In general one can look at
        data modeling, database design and the database as itegrated with
        other uml models. Each one will have a different way to be modeled.
        In database modeling, tables are not used, for example. In database
        design we need tables but partitioning may or may not be used. In
        integrating with other models tables and indexes are far too grainy
        and it is enough to recognize just the databases. In database
        design <<FK>> could be a stereotype for an attribute of a class, in
        data modeling it could a stereotype for the class itself (typical ER
        modeling) or it could be attached to a dependency line.

        There are two other references that I like as well. "UML for
        Database Design" by Eric Naiburg Addison-Wesley has some interesting
        ideas and "Designing Data-Intensive Web Applications" by Ceri et al.
        from Morgan Kaufman has some ideas and if I am correct still has
        something downloadable approximating a profile.

        Hope this helps.

        Mark Goetsch

        --- In agileDatabases@yahoogroups.com, "Scott W. Ambler"