RE: [agileDatabases] DBA ---> agile DBA

  • Ahmed Hassan
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 25, 2003

      Hello all,

      3. Testing: this is proving to be something of a problem. Currently
      I write manual tests to exercise the OR mapping. The tests are based
      on our understanding of how the database will be used. An example -
      save,read, update, delete an order and all its related persistence
      classes. I'm still uneasy that we have left out as yet unforeseen
      ways in which the database will be accessed. On another note: I've
      not yet automated these tests as I have not yet got around to
      picking up unit testing skills. This is still on my todo
      list.

      I’d encourage more DB automated unit tests (actually I’d rather have no manual unit tests at all). Manual tests will eventually become a bottle neck when you have many objects to test. Also what will happen when your manual test fails (due to a mistake on the dev side), and other developers already built on top of the broken code?

      We developed test cases for persistence of objects to make sure mapping is fine [developer will write code to create the object, which will be saved and re-read from db and compared to the original object]. We also have test cases for queries (to make sure they compile and return the data they are supposed to).

      All other tests use stub DB to save build time.

      Regards

      Ahmed M Hassan

      Software Developer, ThoughtWorks Inc.

      "Good decisions come from experience, experience comes from bad ones"