Re: [agileDatabases] Celko

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 10, 2003
      Speaking about books, Agile Database Techniques
      (www.ambysoft.com/agileDatabaseTechniques.html) will be out the first week
      of October.

      I'll be seeing the final layout sometime within the next week or
      so. That's always one of the more exciting aspects of publishing a book,
      IMHO, second only to getting my first copies.

      There might even be copies available at SD Best Practices in Boston
      (www.sdexpo.com) in mid-September. That will depend on the printing and
      shipping end of things. Labor day weekend likely won't help that
      situation. Sigh.

      - Scott

      At 12:40 AM 8/10/2003 +0000, you wrote:
      >Curious if you are working on another book. The market needs to see
      >your SQL for Smarties updated to reflect models that are agile.
      >

      ><snip>

      Senior Consultant, Ronin International, Inc.
      www.ronin-intl.com/company/scottAmbler.html

      www.agiledata.org
      www.agilemodeling.com
      www.ambysoft.com
      www.enterpriseunifiedprocess.info
      www.modelingstyle.info
      www.ronin-intl.com
    • Joe Celko
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 10, 2003
        >> Curious if you are working on another book. <<

        Yes; "Trees & Hierarchies in SQL" which is dues out in January 2004,
        a rather specialized programming tricks book. It was going to be
        sooner, but I kept getting more material and had a really compelte,
        brutal tech read that has me doing a major re-write.

        >> The market needs to see your SQL for Smarties updated to reflect
        models that are agile. <<

        The second edition of SMARTIES is still doing so well that another
        edition is a few years away. We have not even gotten all of the
        translations in place yet. And Frankly, I am an ORM/NIAM family
        modeler, not a "let the kids patch it on the fly" modeler.
      • Joe Celko
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 10, 2003
          >> ... That's always one of the more exciting aspects of publishing
          a book, IMHO, second only to getting my first copies. <<

          I always put getting the royalty check at the top of the list :)
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 11, 2003
            At 06:24 PM 8/10/2003 +0000, you wrote:
            <snip>
            > And Frankly, I am an ORM/NIAM family
            >modeler, not a "let the kids patch it on the fly" modeler.

            That might not be the best way to think about agile development. ;-)