Re: Data maintenance and versioning tools ?

  • deddy205ar
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2012
      Gabe -

      --- In agileDatabases@yahoogroups.com, Gabriel Tanase <gabtanase@...> wrote:

      > Related question: what tools would you recommend to maintain and version
      > data for the following purposes:

      Fascinating question.

      I am only aware of SCM (software configuration management) tools that deal
      with source code changes.

      Now that you ask, I have to think there are tools for tracking data changes, but
      I'm not aware of them.

      I guess I've just led too sheltered a life.

      Please report back with what you find, please.

      - David
    • Willem Bogaerts
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2012
        >> Related question: what tools would you recommend to maintain and version
        >> data for the following purposes:
        >
        > Fascinating question.
        >
        > I am only aware of SCM (software configuration management) tools that deal
        > with source code changes.
        >
        > Now that you ask, I have to think there are tools for tracking data changes, but
        > I'm not aware of them.
        >
        > I guess I've just led too sheltered a life.
        >
        > Please report back with what you find, please.

        I wrote my own experiences with SQL scripts and version control in a howto:

        http://www.howtoforge.com/node/4833

        If focuses on MySQL, but the principle works on many databases. My main
        tools are therefore a utility that allows me to create modular SQL
        scripts and just the standard tool to run an SQL script from the command
        line.

        Best regards,

        Willem Bogaerts.