Reengineering a data warehouse

  • bomasamudram
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 27, 2012
      I am currently sandwiched between a rock and a hard place confronting an organizational mandate to create a credible project plan for a complex data warehousing project that can achieve predictable success. The data warehouse has been under development for the last 5 years and a number of sub-optimal design decisions need to be re-examined as part of the reengineering effort. The business intelligence maturity level is not very high.

      The director's question is: "What will it take to move the date to the left? It is critical that the project delivers a set of reports that can be used for decision-making."

      The organization uses a waterfall model and has not yet adopted agile practices. However, I view it as an opportunity to attempt to steer the thinking in the agile direction.

      I thought that I'd benefit from the wisdom of this group to identify some reading material about the data warehouse project planning process and other related insight.

      Thanks,

      Boma
    • Pramod Sadalage
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2 5:45 AM
        Boma,

        To move the date to the left, you will have to identify what are the most
        important set of reports (all is not he right answer here) that the
        director wants and then try to deliver only those.
        I would encourage you to look at Agile
        Analytics<http://www.amazon.com/Agile-Analytics-Value-Driven-Intelligence-Warehousing/dp/032150481X>

        Cheers
        *Pramod Sadalage
        @pramodsadalage
        <http://www.twitter.com/pramodsadalage><http://www.sadalage.com/>
        *
        *www.sadalage.com
        www.databaserefactoring.com*

        On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 6:00 PM, bomasamudram <bomasamudram@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I am currently sandwiched between a rock and a hard place confronting an
        > organizational mandate to create a credible project plan for a complex data
        > warehousing project that can achieve predictable success. The data
        > warehouse has been under development for the last 5 years and a number of
        > sub-optimal design decisions need to be re-examined as part of the
        > reengineering effort. The business intelligence maturity level is not very
        > high.
        >
        > The director's question is: "What will it take to move the date to the
        > left? It is critical that the project delivers a set of reports that can be
        > used for decision-making."
        >
        > The organization uses a waterfall model and has not yet adopted agile
        > practices. However, I view it as an opportunity to attempt to steer the
        > thinking in the agile direction.
        >
        > I thought that I'd benefit from the wisdom of this group to identify some
        > reading material about the data warehouse project planning process and
        > other related insight.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Boma

      • Shahid Ali
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2 5:50 AM
          I would recommend to first review the need of the data warehousing. If the
          company was able to move ahead for 5 years without it then it means it is
          not something very critical. My point is to first come up with why it is
          needed then figure out how to build it. What those reports are? You can
          start the "Why" question without dealing with technology aspect at all.

          Thanks
          Shahid Ali

          On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 4:00 AM, bomasamudram <bomasamudram@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I am currently sandwiched between a rock and a hard place confronting an
          > organizational mandate to create a credible project plan for a complex data
          > warehousing project that can achieve predictable success. The data
          > warehouse has been under development for the last 5 years and a number of
          > sub-optimal design decisions need to be re-examined as part of the
          > reengineering effort. The business intelligence maturity level is not very
          > high.
          >
          > The director's question is: "What will it take to move the date to the
          > left? It is critical that the project delivers a set of reports that can be
          > used for decision-making."
          >
          > The organization uses a waterfall model and has not yet adopted agile
          > practices. However, I view it as an opportunity to attempt to steer the
          > thinking in the agile direction.
          >
          > I thought that I'd benefit from the wisdom of this group to identify some
          > reading material about the data warehouse project planning process and
          > other related insight.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Boma

        • Markus Gallagher
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2 8:21 AM
            and make sure that you ask the WHY question 5 times... this is how you will
            discover the root cause of a particular subject.

          • Gabriel Tanase
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2 11:04 AM
              Indeed!
              Ask 5 times, but not the same person; try asking 5 different people, or
              maybe less than 5 but ask (some of them) twice, over a period of time.
              It is very rare that the second answer from the same person is the same as
              the first you had got; there's always a new angle or nuance.

              Kind regards,
              Gabriel
              http://ie.linkedin.com/in/gabrieltanase