Re: Tool to diff (compare) database table data

  • pixory
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31 5:29 PM
      David,

      Off hand, do you know if Comparex is mainframe only? It's not immediately clear from reading the Datasheet.

      thanks,

      Joe

      --- In agileDatabases@yahoogroups.com, "deddy205ar" <deddy@...> wrote:

      > Joe -
      >

      > > Often, the changes I'm trying to make are not supposed to
      > > affect the final (end-goal) data set.
      > >

      > Ahhhh... deja vue.
      >
      > In 1986 when dinosaurs ruled the world & PCs were irritating toys,
      > I worked in the sort of shop you described.
      >
      > As you point out there was not a solid testing environment to
      > rely on.
      >
      > At one point someone made a change to the primary up-stream
      > system which impacted a down stream system. I thought it odd
      > that senior executives were wandering the halls on Saturday with
      > long looks on their faces.
      >
      > In short order we purchased a product called Comparex (currently
      > owned by Serena) which tackles many of the challenges you
      > describe.
      >
      > Today, of course, the challenge is to accommodate non-mainframe
      > data... perhaps something you've addressed with diffkit?
      >
      > Good luck.
      >
      > So nice to see nothing's changed in 25 years.
      >
      > - David

    • deddy205ar
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2010
        Joe -

        All the words I see on the datasheet speak mainframe to me.

        A dusty brain cell tells me I first encountered Comparex in the
        early 1970s. So it's O-L-D.

        What I remember is that it had a huge list of features &
        capabilities. It had the kitchen sink & then some.

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2010
          Joe -

          > I recently heard a well known Java guru remark that Java
          > is rapidly becoming the COBOL of the 21st century. 5 years
          > ago I would have scoffed at the idea, but it's looking i
          > ncreasingly credible now.

          It's a fashion business. Thirty years is a long time.

          There's an old joke... "Old hardware goes to the junk pile. Old
          software goes into production."

          In 1996 Capers Jones (Mr Function Points) sent me a list of the 440
          languages he was monitoring. By 2005 the list had expanded to 600,
          but was then pruned back to 500.

          Cheaper, more powerful hardware with HUGE disks plus smart people
          equals more & more languages.

          - David