Survey: How Agile Are You?

      My goal with this survey is try to explore the issue of "how agile" project
      teams which claim to be agile actually are.  For several years now I've been
      applying five criteria (providing value to stakeholders, validation of your
      work, working closely with stakeholders, self organization, and reflective
      improvement) to help identify the agile teams from the non-agile teams, so this
      is what this survey explores.  The survey has 12 questions, although you may not
      be asked all of them, and it should take less than 5 minutes to complete.  I
      truly appreciate the fact that you're investing your valuable time to fill out
      this survey, and would like to thank you for giving back to the community by
      helping to extend our understanding of what's actually happening out here in
      industry.

      To entice you to fill out the survey I'll be drawing for 10 copies of "The Jazz
      Process: Collaboration, Innovation, and Agility" by Adrian Cho published in June
      2010 by Addison Wesley. For more information about the book, visit
      http://www.informit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321636457

      The results will be presented first in my "Agile Mythbusters: Reality over
      Rhetoric" presentation at Agile 2010 on Wednesday August 11 at 11-12 and
      published online as per my normal practice.  This presentation will cover
      results from far more than just this survey of course.

      This is an open survey, so the source data (without identifying information to
      protect your privacy), a summary slide deck, and the original source questions
      will be posted at http://www.ambysoft.com/surveys/ so that others may analyze
      the data for their own purposes. Data from previous surveys have been used by
      university students and professors for their research papers, and hopefully the
      same will be true of the data from this survey. The results from several other
      surveys are already posted there, so please feel free to take advantage of this
      resource.

      My apologies if you received several copies of this request.

      - Scott Scott W. Ambler
      Chief Methodologist for Agile/Lean, IBM Rational
      Agile at Scale blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/ambler
      Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/scottwambler