Re: [agileDatabases] Is there actual disagreement on what 1NF, 2NF, and 3NF mean?

    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 8, 2009
      --- On Fri, 8/7/09, dnrg <dananrg@...> wrote:

      > From: dnrg <dananrg@...>
      > Subject: Re: [agileDatabases] Is there actual disagreement on what 1NF, 2NF, and 3NF mean?
      > To: agileDatabases@yahoogroups.com
      >

      > So please answer one, simple factual question:
      >
      > On page 75 of Agile Database Techniques (2003), you state:
      >
      > "...3NF is only an issue for tables with composite keys."

      The point that I was trying to make was at the beginning of the sentence, that the non-key attributes must depend on the entire key. So, if table is in 2NF and it's a single attribute key, then the table will also be in 3NF as a result. Apparently the second half of the sentence could have been worded better.

      Chief Methodologist/Agile, IBM Rational
      Agile at Scale blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/ambler
      Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/scottwambler

      http://www.flickr.com/gift/
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 17, 2009
        --- On Fri, 8/14/09, Dawn Wolthuis <dwolt@...> wrote:

        <snip>

        > They need to learn the valuable lesson that Scott mentioned
        > here: How
        > do you model data? It depends.

        I'd bring that up a level to be "How do you model stuff?" where data is one of many issues included in "stuff".

        The new Internet Explorer® 8 - Faster, safer, easier. Optimized for Yahoo! Get it Now for Free! at http://downloads.yahoo.com/ca/internetexplorer/