2009 Agile Practice Adoption Survey -- Chance to Win a Copy of "Stand Back and Deliver"

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2009
      Mike Vizdos and I would like to invite you spend a few moments taking the 2009 Agile Practice Adoption survey at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=3lZZ3fYRxvV3y6XsnXPDEw_3d_3d . The goal of this survey is to find out what practices agile practitioners find useful, which they're finding difficult to adopt, and which they're abandoning. There are 17 questions in this survey, although you may not be asked all of them, and it should take you at most 5 minutes to complete.

      To entice you to fill out the survey we'll be drawing for 10 copies of "Stand Back and Deliver: Accelerating Business Agility" by Pollyanna Pixton, Niel Nickolaisen, Todd Little, and Kent McDonald published in June 2009 by Addison Wesley. I've been reading through this book the past few days and I'm finding a lot of great insights in it. More information can be found at http://www.informit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321572882

      The results of this survey will be summarized in my "Agile by the Numbers" presentation at Agile 2009 in Chicago (Aug 24-28). Furthermore, this is an open survey, so the source data (without identifying information to protect your privacy), a summary slide deck, and the original source questions will be posted at www.ambysoft.com/surveys/ so that others may analyze the data for their own purposes. Data from previous surveys have been used by university students and professors for their research papers, and hopefully the same will be true of the data from this survey. The results from several other surveys are already posted there, so please feel free to take advantage of this resource.

      We apologize if you've received several copies of this request.

      Chief Methodologist/Agile, IBM Rational
      Agile at Scale: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/ambler

      http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 20, 2009
        I just wanted to thank those of you who participated in the survey. As I indicated earlier, the results of this survey will be included in my "Agile by the Numbers" presentation at Agile 2009, see http://www.agile2009.org/node/263 . After the presentation the details from this survey will be posted at http://www.ambysoft.com/surveys/practices2009.html as I usually do.

        To give you a feel for the results of the survey, some of the findings (which I'll expand upon in August) include:
        1. The three practices which are seen as most effective were Continuous Integration (CI), Daily Stand Up Meetings, and Developer Test-Driven Development (TDD).
        2. The three practices which are seen as easiest to learn are Daily Stand Up Meeting, Continuous Integration (CI), and Iteration Planning.
        3. The three practices which are seen as hardest to learn are Developer TDD, Acceptance/Story TDD, and Pair Programming.
        4. The three practices which were most likely to be tried and then abandoned were Pair Programming, Burndown Tracking, and Potentially Shippable Software Each Iteration.
        5. The three practices which people want to adopt but have not yet done so were Acceptance TDD, Potentially Shippable Software Each Iteration, and Developer TDD.

        If you're thinking about running a survey, I've posted some thoughts at http://www.ambysoft.com/surveys/agileSurveys.html which might prove helpful. Feedback is always appreciated.

        Also, I've sent emails to the ten winners of "Stand Back and Deliver", so if you haven't recieved an email you haven't won. Better luck next time!