Re: [agileDatabases] unit testing framework(s) for SQL Server 200x

  • Todd Carrico
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 25, 2009
      I'm using a slightly altered version of t-sqlunit. It is native t-sql and uses naming convenstions for test suite naming grouping and execution, setup and teardown etc.

      it does an OK job, I don't like the fact that it has a footprint on the server.

      This is just for ms-sql.

      I've tried the db-pro (visual studio for database professionals) and found the t-sql facade over the .net testing framework a bit confusing, but it met my zero footprint desire, and had some better options for testing output.

      Interested in hearing what other folks are doing on this front.

      Tc

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 25, 2009
        > Curious to know what unit-testing framework(s) you use on SQL Server, and how.  I am tasked
        > with setting our corporate standard, and I'd like to get an understanding of the existing landscape.

        For testing the DB, I use the FitNesse/DbFit combination. I guess
        it's not "unit testing" of the purest form, but it does serve to test
        my database, which mostly involves testing stored procedures.

        /bs
      • alexander_karmanov
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 25, 2009
          DBFit does the work for me - it's not only for sql server.
          Much easier than writing the code.

          http://gojko.net/fitnesse/dbfit/

          HTH
          ak

          --- In agileDatabases@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Carrico" <todd.carrico@...> wrote:

          > I'm using a slightly altered version of t-sqlunit. It is native t-sql and uses naming convenstions for test suite naming grouping and execution, setup and teardown etc.
          >
          > it does an OK job, I don't like the fact that it has a footprint on the server.
          >
          > This is just for ms-sql.
          >
          > I've tried the db-pro (visual studio for database professionals) and found the t-sql facade over the .net testing framework a bit confusing, but it met my zero footprint desire, and had some better options for testing output.
          >
          > Interested in hearing what other folks are doing on this front.
          >
          > Tc
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Bayley, Alistair
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 25, 2009
            > From: agileDatabases@yahoogroups.com
            > [mailto:agileDatabases@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Brad Stiles
            >
            > For testing the DB, I use the FitNesse/DbFit combination. I guess
            > it's not "unit testing" of the purest form, but it does serve to test
            > my database, which mostly involves testing stored procedures.

            +1 for DbFit. I've started using it instead of utPL/SQL, and so far it
            seems to be an improvement. And a plus is that the tests are
            readable/maintanable by our analysts. It seems to be able to do most of
            what I've used utPL/SQL for, and it's a lot less verbose.

            Alistair
            Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this message,
            and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged
            material. It is intended solely for the person(s) or entity to
            which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
            or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by
            persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is
          • Milen Kovachev
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 25, 2009
              I third dbFit. It is the best out there. It utilizes Fit + Fitnesse which is
              mostly used as acceptance testing framework but for database it ends up
              being pure unit testing. You just have to learn a few fixture names, set up
              connections, and start building your test pages. No coding required if you
              don't count your SQL test statements. It works great with SQL Server.

              On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Bayley, Alistair <
              Alistair_Bayley@...> wrote:

              > > From: agileDatabases@yahoogroups.com<agileDatabases%40yahoogroups.com>
              > > [mailto:agileDatabases@yahoogroups.com<agileDatabases%40yahoogroups.com>]
              > On Behalf Of Brad Stiles
              >

              > > For testing the DB, I use the FitNesse/DbFit combination. I guess
              > > it's not "unit testing" of the purest form, but it does serve to test
              > > my database, which mostly involves testing stored procedures.
              >
              > +1 for DbFit. I've started using it instead of utPL/SQL, and so far it
              > seems to be an improvement. And a plus is that the tests are
              > readable/maintanable by our analysts. It seems to be able to do most of
              > what I've used utPL/SQL for, and it's a lot less verbose.
              >
              > Alistair
              > Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this message,
              > and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged
              > material. It is intended solely for the person(s) or entity to
              > which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
              > or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by
              > persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is
              > prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the
              > sender and delete the material from any computer.
            • Max Guernsey, III
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 25, 2009
                It was recommended that I chime in even though some might see it as
                shameless self-promotion. I use NUnit and DataConstructor together.

                Max Guernsey, III

                Managing Member, Hexagon Software

                <http://www.hexsw.com/> http://www.hexsw.com

                <http://www.dataconstructor.com/> http://www.dataconstructor.com

                DBFit does the work for me - it's not only for sql server.
                Much easier than writing the code.

                http://gojko.net/fitnesse/dbfit/

                HTH
                ak

                --- In agileDatabases@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:agileDatabases%40yahoogroups.com> , "Todd Carrico"

                <mailto:agileDatabases%40yahoogroups.com> <agileDatabases@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:agileDatabases%40yahoogroups.com> >

              • Dennis Lloyd Jr
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 27, 2009
                  I use tSQLt. It is a native T-SQL unit testing framework for SQL Server
                  2005. The key features allow you to isolate different pieces of code. For
                  example, if you have a view you want to test, and that view uses several
                  tables with FKs to several other tables, then the ability to put data into
                  those underlying tables becomes increasingly complex. tSQLt introduces the
                  concept of FakeTables (and some other fake object types) which allow you to
                  isolate the unit under test. You can find more about it at
                  http://www.sqlity.net/sqlity/articles/tSQLtTutorial

                  If you like these features, but still need to write tests for SQL 2000,
                  there are some extensions for TSQLUnit which you can read about here:
                  http://www.sqlity.net/sqlity/articles/DbTDD

                  If you decide to use or experiment with these, let me know - I would like to
                  hear any feedback on the project.
                  Cheers!
                  -Dennis