Moving a Data Warehouse Team to Agile

  • Bland, Marty
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2009
      Agile Databases,

      I am an agile coach beginning to move a data warehouse to agile.
      Can you provide example user stories for a data warehouse team? The
      team is working in an waterfall methodology. What is best way to move
      them to be more agile? What are other best practices in migrating a
      data warehouse team to agile principles. Thanks in advance for the
      help.

      Marty Bland
      Agile Project Leader
      Cell 804-310-3049
      804-284-1848 (TIE 433)

      The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary
      to Capital One and/or its affiliates. The information transmitted herewith
      is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is
      addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
      you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination,
      distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance
      upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
      communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material
      from your computer.

    • Clifford Heath
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2009
        Marty,

        I have a friend who's doing the same thing - coaching a DW team
        to agile. AIUI, his efforts are being spent, in the main, figuring out
        how to TDD test (and get DW developers to test) the ETL process.
        I believe they're using Ruby to automate the testing process.

        I've BCC'd him on this message, so hopefully he'll respond to you
        privately.

        Clifford Heath, Data Constellation, http://dataconstellation.com
        Agile Information Management and Design

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2009
          I've got a 2-article series about a RUP-based approach to DW at http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/nov06/ambler/index.html and http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/dec06/ambler/index.html that you may find of value. Critical points are not to take a data-driven approach but to instead focus on behaviour, which it seems like you're trying to do. This will be completely domain driven, so it's hard to give examples.

          Easy answers are to focus on potential "canned reports" as well as on potential queries such as how many people in Ontario have returned CapOne credit card application junk mail numerous times. ;-)

          Scott W. Ambler
          Practice Leader Agile Development, IBM Software Group
          Agile at Scale: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/ambler

          > I am an agile coach beginning to move a data warehouse to
          > agile.
          > Can you provide example user stories for a data warehouse
          > team? The
          > team is working in an waterfall methodology. What is best
          > way to move
          > them to be more agile? What are other best practices in
          > migrating a
          > data warehouse team to agile principles. Thanks in advance
          > for the
          > help.
          >
          > Marty Bland
          > Agile Project Leader
          > Cell 804-310-3049
          > 804-284-1848 (TIE 433)

        • Tim Tuxworth
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2009
            Its really interesting that some of the best practice papers in the DW/BI space are recommending "novel" approaches to developing DW/BI solutions such as short iterations, close involvement with customers and continuous testing. They talk about this as if they have disovered something new - I don't have the papers in front of me right now but the quotes go something like "traditional requirements, design, develop, test approaches used for software development don't work well for DW/BI and a more interactive approach is required to give better chances of success".

            The interesting thing here is there is no connection to "Agile" - either becuase the writters aren't aware of what it is they are actually describing, or maybe (not sure about this but its possible I guess) they are avoiding the term Agile deliberately, while trying to draw on the best practices.

            Tim Tuxworth

            To: agileDatabases@yahoogroups.comFrom: scottwambler@...: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 15:18:27 -0800Subject: Re: [agileDatabases] Moving a Data Warehouse Team to Agile

            I've got a 2-article series about a RUP-based approach to DW at http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/nov06/ambler/index.html and http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/dec06/ambler/index.html that you may find of value. Critical points are not to take a data-driven approach but to instead focus on behaviour, which it seems like you're trying to do. This will be completely domain driven, so it's hard to give examples. Easy answers are to focus on potential "canned reports" as well as on potential queries such as how many people in Ontario have returned CapOne credit card application junk mail numerous times. ;-)Scott W. AmblerPractice Leader Agile Development, IBM Software GroupAgile at Scale: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/ambler--- On Mon, 1/5/09, Bland, Marty <marty.bland@...> wrote:> From: Bland, Marty <marty.bland@...>> Subject: [agileDatabases] Moving a Data Warehouse Team to Agile> To: agileDatabases@yahoogroups.com> Received: Monday, January 5, 2009, 2:58 PM> Agile Databases,> > I am an agile coach beginning to move a data warehouse to> agile.> Can you provide example user stories for a data warehouse> team? The> team is working in an waterfall methodology. What is best> way to move> them to be more agile? What are other best practices in> migrating a> data warehouse team to agile principles. Thanks in advance> for the> help.> > Marty Bland> Agile Project Leader> Cell 804-310-3049> 804-284-1848 (TIE 433)__________________________________________________________Instant Messaging, free SMS, sharing photos and more... Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger at http://ca.beta.messenger.yahoo.com/

          • Gabriel Tanase
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2009
              Hello,

              I would like to second Clifford's recommendation, for several reasons:
              1. ETL is usually the biggest part of the development effort in an DW
              project. It makes sense to break it down into sprints and give incremental,
              immediately usable value to business.
              2. Reconciliation of figures between source systems and the DW is the basis
              of the trust the DW team needs to build into the minds of DW's business
              users. The sooner the team can show consistent, successful reconciliation,
              the higher the chances of success for the entire project
              3. Although ETL does not deliver reports and OLAP cubes as specified (these
              being usually the desired end result), developing ETL procedures quickly and
              reliably may allow selected business users ("power users") to browse and
              query data areas much sooner than in a waterfall project. The benefits can
              be large:
              - users gain confidence early
              - specifications and development of reports are based on real data, rather
              than mock data or no data
              - it is clear earlier what is possible and what is not possible with the
              real data, which may positively realign expectations and requirements for
              reports
              - many unexpected requirements can be unearthed and clarified
              ... and so on

              This is not to say that other development items should be treated with less
              attention, but getting data in correctly is the foundation of everything
              else.

              One caveat, though: the tests that DW ETL developers must design and develop
              should be more forward-thinking that normally. Tests should be developed (at
              some point) to handle use cases that may not appear critical in the short
              term but are bound to happen in the long term and may impact the data
              integrity in the DW if not handled correctly.
              I am thinking e.g. of handling corrections / reversals or of updates /
              renumbering of keys that may happen in the source systems.

              Kind regards,
              Gabriel