Re: [agileDatabases] Re: Efficiency of Count queries?

    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 31, 2008
      On 2008-12-31 01:25 -0000 (Wed), Matt wrote:

      > both you and Curt are saying... but here's the thing. You are both
      > assuming that you are the pinnacle of knowledge and have all the
      > information necessary to make the decision.

      I think that's a slight misinterpretation. We--or at least I--are
      assuming that we can become the pinnacle of knowledge (well, more like
      a local maximum) and have as much information as anyone to make the
      decision.

      Honestly, and MBAs may not like this, but it's a lot more likely that a
      smart software developer can learn a lot about business than it is that
      a smart businessman will learn a lot about developing software. This is
      nothing particular to the computer field; just look around over the last
      eighty years or so and consider how many smart engineers and scientists
      have become managers, and how many smart managers have become engineers
      and scientists.

      And this is not to say that one doesn't take direction from the business
      folks. I may think (and have often thought, in fact) that working on
      project X is going to produce little return and the company should focus
      on project Y instead, and I'll make as strong a case as I can for that.
      But if the managers still insist on doing project X, I go with it.
      That's a situation where there may be technical implications, but in the
      end it's a business decision.

      But chosing your RDBMS, well, I don't think you can argue that there's
      not a huge, even project-changing, technical component there, and while
      there will also be business factors you have to take into account, in
      the end, this falls in the developer side, not the business side.

      Curt Sampson <cjs@...> +81 90 7737 2974
      http://www.starling-software.com