Re: Efficiency of Count queries?

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 30, 2008
      Chris,

      --- In agileDatabases@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Holmes" <ChrisHolmes@...>
      wrote:

      > I've got no problem with a customer telling me to use XYZ technology -
      > as long as they understand that my preference would be ABC technology
      > and I'd get the work done faster with more a more reliable codebase if
      > they let me use the tools that I prefer and think are better tools.
      It's
      > when that discussion doesn't even take place that gets me riled.

      I hear what both you and Curt are saying... but here's the thing. You
      are both assuming that you are the pinnacle of knowledge and have all
      the information necessary to make the decision.

      I prefer to think that I am pretty darned good at what I do and I don't
      mind letting the customers and management know this... but I also am
      willing to "let them tell me what to do" if they make a good case for
      it.

      To each their own though.

      Matt
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 31, 2008
        On 2008-12-31 01:25 -0000 (Wed), Matt wrote:

        > both you and Curt are saying... but here's the thing. You are both
        > assuming that you are the pinnacle of knowledge and have all the
        > information necessary to make the decision.

        I think that's a slight misinterpretation. We--or at least I--are
        assuming that we can become the pinnacle of knowledge (well, more like
        a local maximum) and have as much information as anyone to make the
        decision.

        Honestly, and MBAs may not like this, but it's a lot more likely that a
        smart software developer can learn a lot about business than it is that
        a smart businessman will learn a lot about developing software. This is
        nothing particular to the computer field; just look around over the last
        eighty years or so and consider how many smart engineers and scientists
        have become managers, and how many smart managers have become engineers
        and scientists.

        And this is not to say that one doesn't take direction from the business
        folks. I may think (and have often thought, in fact) that working on
        project X is going to produce little return and the company should focus
        on project Y instead, and I'll make as strong a case as I can for that.
        But if the managers still insist on doing project X, I go with it.
        That's a situation where there may be technical implications, but in the
        end it's a business decision.

        But chosing your RDBMS, well, I don't think you can argue that there's
        not a huge, even project-changing, technical component there, and while
        there will also be business factors you have to take into account, in
        the end, this falls in the developer side, not the business side.

        Curt Sampson <cjs@...> +81 90 7737 2974
        http://www.starling-software.com