Re: Agile Database Versioning Framework

  • slips11
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2008
      Hi Alexander,

      That looks like a very comprehensive and thorough write-up on the
      subject, which is nice to see!

      It looks as though my framework implementation appears to be a little
      more 'lightweight' both in terms of the number of scripts as well as
      configuration that needs to be maintained. It's also Oracle specific, as
      opposed to SQL Server, and although there are calls to sqlplus in the
      shells and a couple of database environment variables required (though
      we were using the OCI driver so even these are limited), that's about as
      far as it goes, so I suspect it could be very easily adapted to another
      RDBMS, in principle at least.

      The other difference seems to be that rollbacks are addressed - though
      this only really works on the basis that the scripts are kept very small
      in their undertakings otherwise, as you say, it just becomes a very
      expensive maintenance overhead!

      There's also no need for developers to even be aware of schema changes
      by colleagues - because Ant is being used as a build tool the scripts
      can be very easily integrated as a dependency into the core module build
      which makes it all very clean and simple for the team!

      So, in short, my framework
      <http://www.andrew-eells.com/database-versioning-framework/> (as it
      is) is really targeted at those developing on either Solaris or Linux
      (but could very easily be adapted to Windows with some shell tweaks) and
      as mentioned, it's currently Oracle- and sqlplus-specific though again,
      I'm fairly certain it would take very little to adapt it to mysql or
      isql for instance - please don't hold me to that if anyone attempts
      this, though I'd be interested to hear how you get on!

      Kind regards,

      Andrew

      --- In agileDatabases@yahoogroups.com, "alexander_karmanov"