Re: [agileDatabases] Client Data and Seed Data

    Message 1 of 6 , May 13 4:20 PM
      On 2008-05-13 15:09 -0000 (Tue), dij061974 wrote:

      > I've having a problem defining how we are going to handle client
      > specific data (config data for a client's environment) and the seed
      > data needed to run the application.

      This always varies quite a bit depending on the situation. Generally, your
      best solution will involve some creative scripting to deal with separating
      out the changing configuration information from the fixed information, and
      usually reading separate configuration files for those and generating the
      actual set of configuration files and whatnot that a particular instance
      of the application will use.

      For a look at one approach to this, which we use for servers of various
      kinds, you might have a look at what our QAM framework does:

      http://www.starling-software.com/en/qam.html

      In particular, look at the server-config file we install into an
      instance directory (used for all data related to a particular instance
      of a server, e.g., a developer's server, a server set up for automated
      testing, or a production server). And send me mail if you have any
      questions.

      Curt Sampson <cjs@...> +81 90 7737 2974