Exporting and importing Oracle

  • Anders Sveen
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
      Reading up on Martin Fowlers Evolutionary Database Design
      (http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/evodb.html) he had some good
      ideas there about being able to copy contents from one database to
      another. This is practical both for syncing up with the database, as
      well as duplicating state between developers when doing error fixes.

      We're running on a Oracle 10 database, and I know of the expdp and
      impdb tools. This could be used for dumping and importing, but the DB-
      instances are centralised in a quite rigid environment. The expdp and
      impdb commands requires read/write access to a directory on the server,
      and thus is not very practical for us.

      Is there any other tools out there that would let me dump the entire
      database and import it at another location and doesn't require anything
      special on the server?

      Cheers,
      Anders,
    • Don Albertson
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
        Anders Sveen said (on or about) 03/03/2008 05:06:
        > Reading up on Martin Fowlers Evolutionary Database Design
        > (http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/evodb.html) he had some good
        > ideas there about being able to copy contents from one database to
        > another. This is practical both for syncing up with the database, as
        > well as duplicating state between developers when doing error fixes.
        >
        > We're running on a Oracle 10 database, and I know of the expdp and
        > impdb tools. This could be used for dumping and importing, but the DB-
        > instances are centralised in a quite rigid environment. The expdp and
        > impdb commands requires read/write access to a directory on the server,
        > and thus is not very practical for us.
        >
        > Is there any other tools out there that would let me dump the entire
        > database and import it at another location and doesn't require anything
        > special on the server?
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Anders,

        TOAD?
        I haven't used it for a while but about 4 years ago I recall using it to
        create a complete script that consisted of a series of CREATE TABLE and
        INSERT INTO statements. I used those to re-create the db on a different
        server.
        dga
      • Howard Wright
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
          Hi Anders,

          Have you considered older Oracle imp and exp commands. These are slower
          than dpimp and dpexp, but have the advantage that they don't require file
          system access to the Oracle server.

          Howard Wright

          Don Albertson <dga12@...>
          Sent by: agileDatabases@yahoogroups.com
          2008/03/03 01:10 PM
          Please respond to
          agileDatabases@yahoogroups.com

          agileDatabases@yahoogroups.com
          cc

          Subject
          Re: [agileDatabases] Exporting and importing Oracle

          Anders Sveen said (on or about) 03/03/2008 05:06:
          > Reading up on Martin Fowlers Evolutionary Database Design
          > (http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/evodb.html) he had some good
          > ideas there about being able to copy contents from one database to
          > another. This is practical both for syncing up with the database, as
          > well as duplicating state between developers when doing error fixes.
          >
          > We're running on a Oracle 10 database, and I know of the expdp and
          > impdb tools. This could be used for dumping and importing, but the DB-
          > instances are centralised in a quite rigid environment. The expdp and
          > impdb commands requires read/write access to a directory on the server,
          > and thus is not very practical for us.
          >
          > Is there any other tools out there that would let me dump the entire
          > database and import it at another location and doesn't require anything
          > special on the server?
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Anders,

          TOAD?
          I haven't used it for a while but about 4 years ago I recall using it to
          create a complete script that consisted of a series of CREATE TABLE and
          INSERT INTO statements. I used those to re-create the db on a different
          server.
          dga

        • Srinivas Chintamani
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
            Hi Anders,
            So far as I know, the "exp" and "imp" utility both let you connect to a
            remote database with the dump files located on a Local machine.

            For example, your database is on "DBServer" and your Oracle client is on
            "MyClient". Then you can fire off the "exp" or "imp" from the "MyClient"
            machine and the dump of your export is created on the same machine
            "MyClient".

            I do this quite often on my environments here.

            Regards,
            Srinivas Chintamani
            DBA - ThoughtWorks India.

            --
            Regards,
            Srinivas Chintamani

          • Max Guernsey, III
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
              I hope this does not constitute spam.

              I read this article. There's some good stuff in there - especially the
              parts about getting people to work together. That stuff probably won't
              change unless people change or we find something better than Lean & Agility.
              The article does labor under the notion that databases evolve, though.
              Databases cannot evolve but they still have to change to be agile. I've
              written
              <http://www.hexsw.com/Products/Components/DataConstructor/RethinkingAgilityI
              nDatabases.aspx?FileName=01.EvolutionAndDataStructures.BlogItem> an article
              on this topic (warning: that link goes to my company's website).

              Evolution works within a population through newer generations replacing
              older ones. This analogy applies very well to "software" (code; C++, C#,
              java) because that is exactly what happens. You build a new generation of a
              program or component and, more or less, copy it over the old. However, the
              term "evolution" cannot be used to describe what happens in the database
              world because we regard some of our individual database (or, rather, the
              information they contain) instances as too valuable. We cannot easily
              replace and old database with a new one and thus evolution in database
              design is impossible. or, at least, impractical.

              To make a long story short: databases cannot evolve but an agile database
              needs to change. The thing that allows individuals to adopt new traits
              while retaining their identity is metamorphosis. In my opinion, switching
              your mental model for database change from "evolution" to "metamorphosis"
              is the first step toward achieving true agility in the database world.

              I don't want to regurgitate the entire series of articles here but, since
              your mind is already in the right place, you might be interested in
              <http://www.hexsw.com/AllPressReleases.aspx?FileName=RefactoringData-03-25-2
              008.BlogItem> a free talk in Bellevue, WA that I am giving on this subject,
              March 25th, 2008.

              I wouldn't recommend trying to dump the entire DB and import it somewhere
              else. It's not very likely you're going to do that in production. Your
              intent appears to be propagating changes throughout a development team. In
              terms of tools that do this: If you are using .Net, I recommend
              <http://www.hexsw.com/Products/Components/DataConstructor/Default.aspx>
              DataConstructor. I'd be a fool not to, though, as I own it. J If that is
              not to your liking, you might try <http://www.liquibase.org/> LiquiBase or
              <http://dbdeploy.com/> DbDeploy - though I don't know what all they require
              of you in terms of platform.

              Anything that lets you test the change you're going to make as realistically
              as possible is better than an "export/import" process.

              Max Guernsey, III

              Managing Member, Hexagon Software

              <http://www.hexsw.com/> http://www.hexsw.com

              <http://www.dataconstructor.com/> http://www.dataconstructor.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 6, 2008
                Thanks for all your responses.

                I think I will look into the imp and exp utils. Does anyone know what
                sort of installation I need to get these? Right now I just have 10.1.0
                Client installed on my workstation. Is it included in all Oracle
                Server installations?

                Thanks,
                Anders,

                Quoting Srinivas Chintamani <Srinivas.Chintamani@...>:

                > Hi Anders,
                > So far as I know, the "exp" and "imp" utility both let you connect to a
                > remote database with the dump files located on a Local machine.
                >
                > For example, your database is on "DBServer" and your Oracle client is on
                > "MyClient". Then you can fire off the "exp" or "imp" from the "MyClient"
                > machine and the dump of your export is created on the same machine
                > "MyClient".
                >
                > I do this quite often on my environments here.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Srinivas Chintamani
                > DBA - ThoughtWorks India.
                >
                > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Anders Sveen <anders@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Reading up on Martin Fowlers Evolutionary Database Design
                >> (http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/evodb.html) he had some good
                >> ideas there about being able to copy contents from one database to
                >> another. This is practical both for syncing up with the database, as
                >> well as duplicating state between developers when doing error fixes.
                >>
                >> We're running on a Oracle 10 database, and I know of the expdp and
                >> impdb tools. This could be used for dumping and importing, but the DB-
                >> instances are centralised in a quite rigid environment. The expdp and
                >> impdb commands requires read/write access to a directory on the server,
                >> and thus is not very practical for us.
                >>
                >> Is there any other tools out there that would let me dump the entire
                >> database and import it at another location and doesn't require anything
                >> special on the server?
                >>
                >> Cheers,
                >> Anders,
                >>

                > --