Agile Databases..

  • psadalage
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2002
      Hello All,

      Since we have a sufficient number of participation on this group now.
      Lets start rolling.
      First of all I would like to thank Kent and Martin in encouraging me
      to start this group and in general write about Processes and
      Practices related to Agility (Agile Practices) and Databases that we
      (the DBA team at Thoughtworks ) evolved over a period of three years
      while working on a huge J2EE application using XP.

      In this group, we would like to discuss, how we can apply these
      processes and practices to your Development effort and help you
      better manage your database in a Agile development environment, also
      how you can make it easier on your self to refactor your database and
      later on deploy these changes to production or in other words migrate
      your production database with ease.

      Thanks
      Pramod
    • java_syed
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 10, 2002
        Hi Pramod,

        I just joined your group. It's nice to see a group like this.

        But what i found with XP is it's very time consuming and less
        awareness among people(mainly PM). I even saw some people write test
        cases before they implement and they say that's XP.

        The third problem is the deadlines, in my previous project we removed
        XP, RUP etc., since it has taken more time of us and we had to meet
        the deadline to make the client happy.

        Once again, thanks for the group.

        - Syed -

        --- In agileDatabases@y..., "psadalage" <psadalage@y...> wrote:
        > Hello All,
        >
        > Since we have a sufficient number of participation on this group
        now.
        > Lets start rolling.
        > First of all I would like to thank Kent and Martin in encouraging
        me
        > to start this group and in general write about Processes and
        > Practices related to Agility (Agile Practices) and Databases that
        we
        > (the DBA team at Thoughtworks ) evolved over a period of three
        years
        > while working on a huge J2EE application using XP.
        >
        > In this group, we would like to discuss, how we can apply these
        > processes and practices to your Development effort and help you
        > better manage your database in a Agile development environment,
        also
        > how you can make it easier on your self to refactor your database
        and
        > later on deploy these changes to production or in other words
        migrate
        > your production database with ease.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Pramod
      • Pramod
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 12, 2002
          Syed,

          I think this message belongs in the extreme
          programming
          group(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/extremeprogramming/)

          In this group we are discussing about how to manage
          your database when you are using XP or Rup or any
          other Agile practices.
          I don't mean to discourage you, but I would rather let
          people reply to this in the Extreme Programming yahoo
          group.

          Thanks
          Pramod

          =====

          Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
          http://news.yahoo.com
        • Yow Kee Cheng
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 12, 2002
            RE: [agileDatabases] Re: Agile Databases..

            Hi there,

            Would there be any difference in your way to manage your database, when you adopt different development process (XP, RUP...etc)? Or say, when you adopt XP or other Agile methods, you are using different approach to model your database?

            Thanks and regards,
            yowkee