Re: [agileDatabases] Exponential growth in data?

  • Luiz Esmiralha
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2008
      On Jan 8, 2008 12:29 PM, Scott Ambler <scottwambler@...> wrote:

      > I guess my search skills aren't what they used to be.
      > Yesterday I was looking around for some solid figures
      > on the exponential growth of data -- you know, every X
      > months the amount of data in the world doubles.
      > Particularly, I was hoping to find numbers around the
      > growth of structured data (i.e. customer records) vs
      > unstructured (i.e. video, audio, ...).
      >
      > Do any of you know of a good source for this sort of
      > info? Thanks in advance.
      >
      > - Scott

      Hi Scott,

      Found this:

      http://www2.sims.berkeley.edu/research/projects/how-much-info-2003/

      Best regards,
      Luiz Esmiralha - IBM Brazil
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 10, 2008
        Just wanted to thank everyone for the feedback that
        they've sent me. A lot of it was private, so I
        thought I'd summarize and share the results.

        The original request was posted internally within IBM
        and publicly on this list. I was asking for help
        finding referencable material on the growth of data
        volume out there. There's a few good estimates,
        doubling every three years appeared to be a reasonable
        figure from a couple of sources.

        Here are the links I was sent:
        1. Richard Winter has been tracking very large
        databases (VLDB) stats across industry for years -
        look at
        http://www.intelligententerprise.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=193105574
        and
        http://www.intelligententerprise.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=18902161
        . His website is
        http://www.wintercorp.com/index.html.

        2. How Much Information? 2003 --
        http://www2.sims.berkeley.edu/research/projects/how-much-info-2003/

        3. Survey: Storage Growth Outpaces PC, Server Markets,

        http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Storage/Survey-Storage-Growth-Outpaces-PC-Server-Markets/

        4. I found this article by Michael Lesk
        (http://www.lesk.com/mlesk/ksg97/ksg.html) some time
        ago and it poses the same question. Problem is: it was
        written 10 years ago.

        And some comments:
        Some companies do see a relation across growth in data
        volumes compared
        to growth in company revenue. These factors include
        Mergers,
        Acquisitions and Divestures; Major events in industry
        like SOX, Class Action, Vioxx recall etc.; Major
        events at clients like initiating a Enterprise Data
        Warehouse project. The impact of such events can be
        exponential. A company on normal growth path, say 7%
        growth, sees a similar growth in their data. But when
        they initiated their enterprise wide SAP efforts, they
        data volume requirements grew by almost 10 times. Data
        retention policies also play a role.

        - Scott

        --- Scott Ambler <scottwambler@...> wrote:

        > I guess my search skills aren't what they used to
        > be.
        > Yesterday I was looking around for some solid
        > figures
        > on the exponential growth of data -- you know, every
        > months the amount of data in the world doubles.
        > Particularly, I was hoping to find numbers around
        > the
        > growth of structured data (i.e. customer records) vs
        > unstructured (i.e. video, audio, ...).
        >
        > Do any of you know of a good source for this sort of
        > info? Thanks in advance.
        >
        > - Scott
        >
        > Scott W. Ambler
        > Practice Leader Agile Development, IBM Methods Group
        > http://www.ibm.com/rational/bios/ambler.html
        > Agile at Scale:
        > http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/ambler

        Scott W. Ambler
        Practice Leader Agile Development, IBM Methods Group
        http://www.ibm.com/rational/bios/ambler.html
        Agile at Scale: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/ambler

        Looking for a X-Mas gift? Everybody needs a Flickr Pro Account.

        http://www.flickr.com/gift/