RE: Data Governance Survey

  • Garris, Nicole
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9 7:09 AM
      Its interesting that the survey doesn't delve into what skills are in
      short supply. To Question 5, "What factors contribute to the delay or
      abandonment of your data integration, master data management or data
      lineage projects", 43% answered "Personnel with necessary skills were
      unavailable".

      The most common answer (27%) to Question 2, "What are the major problems
      organizations must overcome to implement data governance policies and
      procedures", is "Determining the rules and requirements/Interpreting and
      understanding the rules". Based on my personal experience, I took this
      to mean understanding the semantics and business rules surrounding
      corporate data. I then related this to Question 5 as as example of the
      skills that were lacking, although its actually knowledge more than
      skills. It would be interesting to go back to the 130 executives and
      find out!