Re: [agileDatabases] Data Governance Survey

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2007
      A few thoughts:
      1. The 2/3 figure isn't surprising and is arguably
      inline with the failure rate that we see on
      traditional projects in general.
      2. If you abandon a project part way through, that may
      in fact be a success and not a failure. Of course, if
      it was a really bad idea at the start and you did it
      anyway, ...
      3. The lack of skills issue isn't surprising. In some
      of my own surveys, see
      http://www.ambysoft.com/surveys/ , I've found that
      many data professionals aren't doing fundamental
      activities required for modern development. I didn't
      directly ask about skills, but it seems to me that if
      they're not doing the activities then there's likely a
      very good chance that they don't have the skills (and
      maybe it's a causal relationship in the other
      direction).
      4. I looked around their site a bit and didn't see the
      original text of the survey anywhere nor did I see the
      original data to download. That might just mean that
      my powers of observation leave little to be desired,
      but because I can't view the actual source I'm
      completely dependent upon their interpretation of the
      results. Considering that they're a data governance
      solutions vendor with an axe to grind on this topic,
      I'm a bit leery.
      5. The survey didn't seem to have many direct
      questions about political issues, so it's hard to say.
      Also, if what they say is true that their survey was
      given to execs then it wouldn't surprise me to find
      that the execs aren't aware of many of the political
      challenges that their data groups are embroiled in. I
      often work with customer execs and they think that
      their data groups are doing fine (exactly what their
      data groups tell them), yet after a few minutes of
      conversation I quickly discover that their data groups
      really aren't doing so well as claimed.

      - Scott

      --- "Garris, Nicole" <Nicole.Garris@...> wrote:

      > Exeros, which is in the business of data
      > relationship discovery and
      > management, recently published an interesting survey
      > of IT executives at
      > 130 companies with revenue over $1 billion. Exeros
      > is defining data
      > governance as "the management of data to assure its
      > availability,
      > usability, integrity and security". The survey
      > indicates that 2/3 of
      > respondents occasionally or frequently have had to
      > delay or abandon data
      > integration, master data management or data lineage
      > projects. The survey
      > seems to indicate the most prevalent cause is
      > difficulty/lack of
      > knowledgeable staff/cost involved in determining the
      > rules and
      > requirements related to the data. Political problems
      > and lack of
      > management support are ranked lower.
      >

      > http://www.exeros.com/landingpages/survey.html

      Scott W. Ambler
      Practice Leader Agile Development, IBM Methods Group
      http://www-306.ibm.com/software/rational/bios/ambler.html
      Agility at Scale: http://www.ibm.com/rational/agile/

    • Garris, Nicole
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 9, 2007
        Its interesting that the survey doesn't delve into what skills are in
        short supply. To Question 5, "What factors contribute to the delay or
        abandonment of your data integration, master data management or data
        lineage projects", 43% answered "Personnel with necessary skills were
        unavailable".

        The most common answer (27%) to Question 2, "What are the major problems
        organizations must overcome to implement data governance policies and
        procedures", is "Determining the rules and requirements/Interpreting and
        understanding the rules". Based on my personal experience, I took this
        to mean understanding the semantics and business rules surrounding
        corporate data. I then related this to Question 5 as as example of the
        skills that were lacking, although its actually knowledge more than
        skills. It would be interesting to go back to the 130 executives and
        find out!