Re: [agileDatabases] Database Eye for the Application Guy

  • Clifford Heath
    Message 1 of 33 , May 20 3:56 PM
      > Aside from Scott's (all hail) Agile database books, what others would
      > people recommend?

      Without a question, "Transaction Processing Concepts and Techniques"
      by Jim Gray and Andreas Reuter. It was the book that spilt the beans
      on how relational DBs work internally, and how they achieve
      transactional
      behaviour in the face of faults. That covers all the nuts-and-bolts
      under-
      standing you'll need for dealing with any real database.

      Next, get "Information Modeling and Relational Databases" by Terry
      Halpin, It covers three forms of entity-relational modeling, data
      modeling
      using UML, and analyses the strengths and weaknesses of both by
      comparison with Object Role Modeling, a conceptual modeling technique
      that's more powerful than either. This one book will teach you all
      you'll
      ever need to know about how to *think* about data. Every DBA should
      read it.

      Both books are well-written and easy to read with plenty of concrete
      realistic examples, but beware - to properly absorb the material you'll
      want to spend up to 2 months slowly absorbing the contents of each.

      The only thing you might need that neither covers is *how* a query
      processor chooses a query plan. You'll know all the options they can
      choose from, and you'll know how to evaluate the cost of each, but
      you won't know how the engine evaluates the cost of each. I don't
      think that matters, as long as you understand both the domain and
      range of the optimiser's operations.

      Clifford Heath.
    • khopsicker
      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 10, 2007
        I've been a data/database professional for over 12 years. I've worked
        with a lot of developers on tuning SQL and the over all application.
        One book that I just recently discovered and started going through is
        "SQL Design Patterns" by Vadim Tropashko. It's definitely not a
        beginner's book, but once you get more experienced, there's a lot of
        great information in there.

        Ken Hopsicker
        BoldTech Systems, Inc