Re: [agileDatabases] Requirements for mapping tool(s)

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 27, 2007
      --- Piero BoisAubin <pierob34@...> wrote:

      > 1- A DBA guards the relational database(s) and
      > provides whatever data model a front end developer
      > requires to build an application. (The relational
      > aspect should not be compromised and maintained
      > separately because data is an asset.)

      Why does only the DBA do this? Why can't anyone on
      the team have access to the data model.

      How are you going to ensure that the relational aspect
      isn't comprimised? What does that mean? Sounds like
      a really big requirement.

      > 2- Remove prohibition(s) so that developers
      > get their model without causing much or no pain to
      > the DBA

      Removing prohibitions seems like a really good idea.

      Are your programmers torturing the DBA? ;-)

      Does the DBA deserve to be tortured? ;-)

      Just joking, can't help it, I'm tired.

      > If the DBA has an “Agile” tool then the process
      > can move smoothly otherwise someone will ask “why
      > can’t we all get alone?” Such tool, I suppose,
      > should be dynamic in rendering data while providing
      > an API to the developer for application development.

      What is missing from existing O/R tools that this
      isn't the case? Couldn't you build an R/O/R mapping
      tool by simply using an O/R mapping tool and pointing
      it at two DBs?

      > I have not been able to locate the tool(s) you
      > mentioned for ETL but I'm very interested in them;

      See
      http://www.google.com.hk/search?hl=en&q=extract+transform+load+tools&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

      Practice Leader Agile Development, IBM Methods Group
      http://www-306.ibm.com/software/rational/bios/ambler.html