Developer DB Instances

  • aaronyo
    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 1, 2007
      My company uses Oracle. I was recently discussing the Fowler article
      on evolutionary DB design
      (http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/evodb.html) and it was met with
      some skepticism that it would be practical for app devs to maintain
      their own Oracle instance. We have about 30 app developers.

      Does anyone have experience with a 30+ developer shop where each dev
      has their own Oracle instance?

      -aaron
    • Donald McLean
      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 15, 2007
        Todd Carrico wrote:

        > Interesting... from the MS side of things, I would have said that .Net
        > was king, and Java was dead... Different worlds I suppose..

        In the astronomy community, nobody agrees on anything. Somebody with
        money picks a platform/language that they like and implements a
        solution. If enough people find the solution useful then eventually it
        becomes a de-facto standard (at least for a while). The result is that
        solutions run the gamut of platforms and languages.

        The only firm statistics that I have seen were a virtual dead heat
        between Macs and Linux with Windows a remote distant third.

        Now the system that I work on is a Java web application. The new version
        of the software has greater data-management needs than previous versions
        and so we adopted Derby + Hibernate. So far it seems to work just fine,
        but then we have just started with full-up system testing and haven't
        run any load tests yet.

        Using Hibernate isn't quite so obvious as the Hibernate fanatics seem to
        believe. I think that their documentation is difficult to navigate and
        important details are hidden away in tiny little remote corners. My
        inner cynic tells me that this could be a strategy for creating a market
        for Hibernate how-to books.

        Donald McLean