Simple framework for checking database integrity in a JSP page?

  • thunderbear0000 <thunderbear0000@yahoo.c
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2003
      We are just getting our feet wet with testing frameworks and we
      already have a database that wants to be agile :), and we have decided
      on starting with a simple system that allows us to test the integrity
      of the current database, i.e. no changes - just simple SQL queries.

      Is there a package that allows us to put these SQL statements and
      their expected count(*) results in a plain XML or text file, and
      present the results in HTML from a JSP-page?

      Any thoughts would be appreciated - I have started looking at the
      dbUnit package, so just telling me it is a good choice would be good
      :)

      --
      Thorbjoern
    • David Warnock
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 25, 2003
        Thorbjoern,

        > We are just getting our feet wet with testing frameworks and we
        > already have a database that wants to be agile :), and we have decided
        > on starting with a simple system that allows us to test the integrity
        > of the current database, i.e. no changes - just simple SQL queries.
        >
        > Is there a package that allows us to put these SQL statements and
        > their expected count(*) results in a plain XML or text file, and
        > present the results in HTML from a JSP-page?
        >
        > Any thoughts would be appreciated - I have started looking at the
        > dbUnit package, so just telling me it is a good choice would be good
        > :)

        We are also just starting with dbUnit on a new project.

        I was wondering if a similar tool to dbUnit could be found that would
        work the same way but on the table structures. So we could have an xml
        description of the table structures and a unit test tool to check these
        are correct.

        Then comes the real test for agility, the ability to automatically
        upgrade a database structure. We have had this in our live products for
        a while (a simple dbVersion in a singleton row/column and a sql script
        for each upgrade, applied by the application when it starts up and the
        the dbVersion of the app is greater than the dbVersion of the database).

        But this does not work so well when you have separate development and
        maintenance branches and need to make a change to the maintenance branch
        structure.

        Ideas welcome.

        Dave
        --
        David Warnock, Sundayta Ltd. http://www.sundayta.com
        iDocSys for Document Management. VisibleResults for Fundraising.