Re: [agileDatabases] Tool wanted for automated release of DB changes and data migration

  • Scott Brown
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 18, 2007
      I just wanted to chime in to mention the schema migration functionality
      that's part of Ruby on Rails. I realize you're looking for something to
      work with your existing environment/language, but the RoR framework is well
      worth researching for future projects, if this type of agile data-driven
      development is important to you.

      On 1/18/07, Nathan Voxland <nathan.voxland@...> wrote:

      > Take a look at the open source
      > http://www.sundog.net/index.php/databaserefactoring it allows you to
      > keep your database changes as an XML file in your source code repository
      > and apply them as needed, either directly to the database or by creating
      > an sql script to run. The changes stored can either be in the form of
      > raw sql, or as more descriptive database refactorings like "<rename
      > column>" or "<drop table>" that will keep your changelog database
      > independent.
      >
      > ________________________________

    • Nick Ashley
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 19, 2007
        Hi Michael,

        Glad to hear that it looks useful.

        A command line interface is a feature that we're looking to implement
        soon but isn't available yet. I'll post to the group once it's done.

        We're also looking at building a .Net version of dbdeploy sometime soon.

        Best wishes,

        Nick

        > Thanks, looks like exactly what we were looking for. I am just trying
        > to integrate it into NAnt (.NET team) which does not seem to support
        > importing tasks from java libraries. Is there also a command line
        > version of it I could just call ?
        >
        > Thanks a lot, Michael

      • Jens Winter
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 20, 2007
          michaelnirschl wrote:
          > Does anyone know of a good tool to automatically deploy DB changes and
          > associated data migration as part of the build and release process ?
          > We are looking for something that would enable us to move between
          > versions of our DB schema like Subversion can take you to versions of
          > your code base.

          Hi,

          I'm currently in the process of building such a tool. It is a .NET open
          source project. You can find it here:

          http://www.codeplex.com/flynn

          Currently, it is at a very early stage. There is no stable release yet.
          But I'm planning to publish a first version soon.

          Ciao,
          Jens

          --
          http://www.jenswinter.com