OO DBMS

  • e_unsal2001
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2002
      Hi,
      I am a graduate student and my MSc thesis will be about
      OO DBMS. Actually, we will try to build an DBMS for an scientific
      and oo project. Can anyone suggest me some books, articles, web sites
      as a start point ? I want to learn and use new approaches in
      the project.
      Thanks in advance,
    • patrickdlogan
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 15, 2002
        --- In agileDatabases@y..., "e_unsal2001" <ersin.unsal@y...> wrote:

        > I am a graduate student and my MSc thesis will be about OO
        > DBMS. Actually, we will try to build an DBMS for an scientific and
        > oo project. Can anyone suggest me some books, articles, web sites as
        > a start point? I want to learn and use new approaches in the
        > project.

        I would suggest starting with a set of requirements. You can get all
        kinds of results from a google on "object oriented database". But
        where would that leave you? Most of those references will assume OODBs
        are good, some may assume they're bad.

        Do they fit your requirements? What's the smallest kind of database
        you can build that will meet your needs?

        You'll never know until you list your needs and prioritize them.

        Don't assume the people who've built databases in the past know how to
        build yours. Hint: most OODBs are incredible overkill for 80% of the
        applications that use them. Hint2: Most relational database
        architectures originated from the era where a megabyte was a lot of
        space... on disk.

        -Patrick